Beginning in 1938, the Minox subminiature camera was manufactured by VEF (Valts Elektrotechniska Fabrika) in Riga, Latvia. Photo 3 shows the original engraving 'VEF Minox Riga - Made in Latvia'. In June 1940 the Soviet Union occupied the Baltic States and by mid 1941 VEF became a Soviet factory. Initially, the engraving was altered to obliterate the word 'Riga' and replace ' Made in Latvia' with 'Made in USSR'. At this point we can possibly call the Minox a Soviet-made camera. Photo 1 shows the final engraving on cameras that were manufactured at this time. Photo 4 is a factory plaque from the time of Soviet occupation. Production of the camera ceased in 1943. In 1941, the camera's designer, Walter Zapp fled to Germany, and production of a new Minox camera was started in Heuchelheim.
The Minox has a three element Minostigmat f/3.5 15mm lens and a full range of shutter speeds from 1/2 second to 1/1000 second plus B and T. The lens focuses from 20 cms to infinity. The camera uses 9.2mm wide film with a format of 8 x 11mm.
(Click to enlarge)
Created by RCCCUK on 7/8/2009 10:13:56 AM | Last Edited by RCCCUK on 7/16/2009 2:00:40 AMRevision History