Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
dee * [ adopted ] dowling
dee

United Kingdom
114 Posts
Posted - Jan 31 2009 :  4:53:01 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am awaiting Contax III , bought from USA and sent directly to Mike Haley and his ex-arsenal merry men . They were able to fix the original shutter , tidy up a dint in the meter door , and fit a new cell . Full CLA and 6 months warranty of course .
Total cost , £125 plus £75 - with tested and checked Sonnar collapsible .

... OK , I could have had my 1954 Kiev III sorted for just the £75 , and I doubt I will be able to tell the difference in useage ... but Contax called !

dee

Vladislav Kern
Vlad
USA
4251 Posts
My Collection

Posted - Feb 02 2009 :  9:30:06 PM  Show Profile  Visit Vlad's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Dee, I'm curious what's their turnaround time to do something like that? It must take a while to send it to Kiev and get it back...
Go to Top of Page
dee
United Kingdom
114 Posts
Posted - Feb 03 2009 :  12:21:58 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Vlad .
The link to Mike Haley is - http : // alien-planet.net/cameras_for_sale.htm .

He quotes 14 days fixing time and 14 - 18 days return , I would suggest 2-3 weeks to arrive from USA .

He charges 30 to 45 euro for CLA and fixing , plus a bit more for cosmetic work .

My Contax [ with Sonnar checked with film ] was 65 euro with shipping to UK . I had it sent directly from a USA e-bay seller and had to pay 15 euro import duy .

To my mind , from UK , the wait is well worth the reasonable outlay , I guess about £70 in total from UK to CLA a Kiev 2 / 3 - meter cell a bit more .

My thoughts are this - buy a pre-1955 KNeB III or II [ Or Contax II / III ] for about £100 , and make it special for a total of less than £200 .

I was quoted about £120 in Uk for CLA and shutter tape repair - but without a working meter cell and testing the lens . I would also have had to pay much more import taxes from USA to UK .

It's still reasonable for such a lovely classic user camera ... I am less certain about the value of CLA of a Kiev 4 unless you have one already .

But I am not reasonable about Kievs !

dee

Regards
dee

Go to Top of Page

Vladislav Kern
Vlad
USA
4251 Posts
My Collection

Posted - Feb 03 2009 :  12:26:56 PM  Show Profile  Visit Vlad's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hi Dee,

thanks for the info! No it's definitely worth doing with cameras like a pre-1950 Kiev II or 1950-1952 Kiev III this way you know the repair was done at the place of manufacture and makes your collector's heart all warm and fuzzy ..

Vlad.
Go to Top of Page
dee
United Kingdom
114 Posts
Posted - Feb 06 2009 :  4:03:50 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Vlad ..

I love the thought of my Contax being revived in the Arsenal factory - even if camera production is long gone and the machinery gradually deteriorating .
The guys working on the Kievs are post 50 years old - and can make a 1/2 frame or pinhole Kiev - just ask Mike !

I may just have a Kiev II facsia stripped to no name , with "" II "" engraved , parts Nickel plated in the Uk , and back to MIke for finishing . This was my original dream camera .

Undee'cided !
Go to Top of Page

Vladislav Kern
Vlad
USA
4251 Posts
My Collection

Posted - Feb 06 2009 :  4:33:13 PM  Show Profile  Visit Vlad's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hi Dee,

sounds like you're building some serious custom Kiev collection! I beg you to post pictures if you have the ability! I am dying to see those creations!

Cheers,
Vlad.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
USSRPhoto.com Forums © USSRPhoto.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000
Google