Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
dee * [ adopted ] dowling
dee

United Kingdom
114 Posts
Posted - Aug 01 2009 :  06:51:45 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am still having 2x metallic paint Enigmas created , however , my dream Kiev would be a 1947 with the original hand engraved script .

I can re-create one around a rough 1951 Kiev 2 [ because it is fairly close to 1947 without being unduly rare , and I have another 1951 as Kontrast ]
I would have the camera nickel plated , with original 1951 number , of course , maybe covered in an exotic snakeskin or grey leather .
Non of my other pretenders would ever be acused of being ' fakes ' and I have adapted the script to be slightly different .
Is this a step too far for a kopy Kiev ?
dee
David Tomlinson
RCCCUK
United Kingdom
208 Posts
Posted - Aug 01 2009 :  08:20:30 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Dee,

Although I can understand your interest in creating decorative objects from Kiev cameras, I have to say that I do not agree with it. As a collector, I want the camera to be as original as possible and therefore it grieves me to see so many cameras currently on sale that have been 'decorated'. Nevertheless, a camera that has been 'decorated' in a thoughtful and well-finished way is certainly an eye-catcher, but at the end of the day, only has novelty value.

David

(http://www.rcccuk.com)
Go to Top of Page
Michel
France
217 Posts
Posted - Aug 01 2009 :  08:52:51 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi dee and David,

As a Kiev collector I fully agree with all the terms of David's post.

Regards,
Michel.

Go to Top of Page
dee
United Kingdom
114 Posts
Posted - Aug 03 2009 :  02:17:41 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Fair point .
My view is that reviving poor Kievs which are not worth restoring is perfectly OK . [ Though I confess that another may see an early Kiev 4 with plain meter top worth restoring from a near wreck ]

My cameras will have much more than novelty value - indeed , I am quite content for them to lose all value - 'cos when I am retired and broke - they won't be seen as potential income !

My Autistic glitch means that I get overwhelmed by too much detail , and my mind strives to make sense of Cyrillic script . Stripping back detail helps enormously - some Kievs have just
the number on the access shoe - which is fine , but the Made in USSR etc makes me try and read it EVERY TIME - I can't switch this off or see past it .
Handling is aso so much easier with less clutter on the body - hence removing the self timer and flash sync .

I also am more comfortable with '' sets '' - as in a set of Kiev II / III / IV with the same shape and engraving [ KNeB ] hence making a Kiev III / IV KNeB - so the only difference is the top of each camera. Also a '' set ' of Kiev II from Contax / 1947 / KNeB / dual script - plus my own English KIeV engraving which is much easier for my head to take in .

There are certain colours which are good for me too - hence a poor Kiev IIa being painted in a metallic bluebell colour ... and anything reminiscent of my birh year 1947 - helps too .
A long and complicated resonse which will mean nothing to anyone outside this strange out of phase existence .
Look at it as Kievs kreating a safe space for someone struggling to see through a fog of incomprehension .

I can ONLY connect to Contax and Kiev [ and Leica II ] - indeed only about a dozen '' toys '' dating back to infancy , seem more real and tangible , so dee'scovering Kiev has been a lifeline for me .

Why this explanation ? Maybe to show that there are many reasons why we embrace our toys , and how a camera can help contain and tame a distorted world through it's '' window ''

Go to Top of Page

Bill Parkinson
nightphoto
USA
1027 Posts
My Collection

Posted - Aug 03 2009 :  3:00:23 PM  Show Profile  Visit nightphoto's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hi Dee!

First I will tell you, I am a purist collector of the Russian cameras and the Kievs are amongst my favorites! When I say purist, I mean that I don't even restore anything on rare versions of these cameras. I don't replace the shutter curtains or even clean them in any way unless I know that the dirt will corrode them or damage them in the future, in which case I will do the minimum cleaning or restoration necessary. I never touch up the paint or replace the covering, etc.

That being said, I fully approve of what you are doing, in every way! I can understand what you are doing and why you are doing it. Obviously you also know not to change very rare examples in good condition and I'm quite sure the cameras that you have made are very beautiful and very well suited to your purposes, needs, and pleasures. No doubt, many of the cameras that you lovingly have customized would otherwise be discarded or just used for parts.

My only regret is that we have not been able to see some good photos of the your cameras yet. Maybe when you send them to be worked on, the person who does the customization could take a photo of them when finished, and you could post the photos on the forum. I'm sure we would all like to see them.

And, of course we have a category in the WIKI for modified cameras and would be honored to add your cameras to it. If you have photos and need help to make a WIKI entry, just send them by e-mail to myself or Vlad and we can make the WIKI entry for you.

Regards, Bill

Go to Top of Page
dee
United Kingdom
114 Posts
Posted - Aug 03 2009 :  3:52:27 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks - my cameras are still being created - I do not have one kompleted - it has been a long haul from being unable to find anyone to make one for me , to having a handful made by the enthusiatic techs of a certain age , all from the Arsenal factory .

For me , this link is crucial - that they not only know what I am doing , but are enthusiastically participating ... my Contax III was also sorted by them - down to making the meter work ... they had to replace a spring and meter glass from a Kiev , but otherwise it's all original .
They seem intruiged and delighted to show their skills .

I was much happier buying a Contax III needing work and having the shutter etc fixed , and now have a lovely collapsible Sonnar and elegant Contax III for the £200 .
With the reassurance that it has had suitable TLC .

This IS controversial - I have seen a good Kiev III 1955 with a fabulous serial number .
[ numbers help too LOL ]
What would your reaction be to my having this camera nickel plated , CLA, and meter sorted as a main user in contrast to the Contax III ?
Keeping it absolutely standard , but with a stunning finish ... I was going to use a poor K IIIa with new KIeV engraving ... but this camera would be more real for me ...

It's not especially '' rare '' but I am unsure - Kiev 4 are fair game - but Kiev III ? ...
Go to Top of Page
dee
United Kingdom
114 Posts
Posted - Aug 10 2009 :  2:48:44 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Final indignity ?

When my Enigmas are Komplete [ Kiev III-IV / Kiev III and Contax II ]I have deecided on the final phase -

I now have a very average , inexpensive , KNeB III no. 551552 coming as companion to my roughish '' user '' KNeB II 1951 ...

They tick all the boxes for me so they will be nickel plated [ chrome controls ] new leather , and that's it ... I love nickel colour - it makes the cameras '' warmer '' , hides blemishes and makes them new again ... total cost too much for a Kiev each , but not for a dream camera .

I must get my 1957 Kiev 4 cla and I will be skint but kontent !
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
USSRPhoto.com Forums © USSRPhoto.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000
Google