Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Vladislav Kern
Vlad

USA
4251 Posts
My Collection

Posted - Apr 28 2008 :  10:06:03 PM  Show Profile  Visit Vlad's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hello everyone,

I've been doing a lot of thinking lately. A lot of people had been expressing an interest of having a site like USSRPhoto.com that covers various world cameras other than Russian ones. With this in mind I wanted to throw out some feelers out there to see if this is an idea worth pursuing.. I've also registered a domain - www.worldphotographica.com in case I do see a potential avenue for this...

How many people here that collect cameras other than Russian would be interested in site like that that covers German, Japanese, American, etc cameras? It'll basically be an exact USSRPhoto.com template but with different categories like Leitz, Zeiss, Argus, Nikon, Canon, etc? Of course potentially much bigger site - or smaller, depending on how popular it may be ...

To take it one step further - would someone be possibly interested in being a moderator on such a site? With USSRPhoto.com being fairly busy I am not sure I will be able to keep an active eye on both sites...

Let me know your thoughts.

Thanks!
Vlad.
Yuri Boguslavsky
fedka
USA
240 Posts
My Collection

Posted - Apr 28 2008 :  10:36:32 PM  Show Profile  Visit fedka's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Vlad,
You did a great job with this site, and whatever you do next, please keep it (USSRphoto) up:-)
I saw your posts on IDCC about this too. As you can see, a relatively small segment of world's camera is capable of producing a lot of traffic and a lot of information.
Going for the entire world of cameras... shouldn't you spend at least some time with your family?:-)

One more thing - I've been on IDCC since its beginning - many years (15?). The crowd there is much more diverse, often quite harsh and political. We are enjoying almost 100% peaceful life here, but do not take this for granted.

And if you have so much free time, when do we expect Part II of Girls of USSRphoto?

Yuri
Go to Top of Page

Vladislav Kern
Vlad
USA
4251 Posts
My Collection

Posted - Apr 28 2008 :  11:01:17 PM  Show Profile  Visit Vlad's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hehehe... Thank you... I'm just entertaining some ideas here... the Girls photoshoot will happen, probably shortly after the camera show... I need to tackle one thing at a time...

Whatever I do, it will definitely keep USSRPhoto my #1 priority, since I'm not branching out to other areas with my personal camera collection, so this site will be my main focus anyways hobby-wise.. I'm viewing the WorldPhotographica possibility most likely as a business decision.. such as to bring my hobby closer to my real work. As you all know I work for myself as a Software developer/consultant, so I'm trying to take on some business that I may actually enjoy, like the expansion site may possibly be... lots of things to think about, wanted to get you all's feedback first...

Vlad
Go to Top of Page

Juhani Halmeenmaki
cedricfan
Finland
1019 Posts
My Collection

Posted - Apr 28 2008 :  11:20:14 PM  Show Profile  Visit cedricfan's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Well, I have been waiting for a site for Chinese cameras as you may know. There has been several attempts, but all have died so far...

Smena rules
Go to Top of Page

Vladislav Kern
Vlad
USA
4251 Posts
My Collection

Posted - Apr 28 2008 :  11:32:00 PM  Show Profile  Visit Vlad's Homepage  Reply with Quote
If it happens it will encompass all cameras, including Chinese, but will probably exclude Russian ones so not to create redundancy with this one...
Go to Top of Page
James McGee
James McGee
Azerbaijan
192 Posts
Posted - Apr 29 2008 :  12:38:17 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
`Hi vlad,
What is "Girls of USSRphoto?" I like girls, almost as much as cameras!!!!!
More seriously, I agree with Yuri. You do a fantastic job with this site, and we all know that you are very capable of organising another site dedicated to a wider audience, but sometimes it's better not to put oneself under pressure unnecessarily. I think it better to know your limits and then take a step back so as to stay well within your own capabilities, otherwise a hobby can become a chore and more like work than a pleasant pastime.
I also agree that this site is fantastic as it is. There are some great posts and the site is extremely informative.
So in principle the Worldphotographica site is a great idea, but let some other person organise it.

Regards,

Jim.

Go to Top of Page

Vladislav Kern
Vlad
USA
4251 Posts
My Collection

Posted - Apr 29 2008 :  10:16:10 AM  Show Profile  Visit Vlad's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hi Jim,

The Girls of USSRPhoto project just had one photo-shoot so far, there is also a link on a home page - http://www.ussrphoto.com/Victoria

I can assure you that I will not stretch myself thin if I do decide to proceed with this, this site here will stay my top priority. It's really not THAT much work, the template already exists with this site, it just needs a little reorganization for the new one.. If I do launch it I will have a different administrator who will moderate the site other than myself.

Vlad
Go to Top of Page

Bill Parkinson
nightphoto
USA
1027 Posts
My Collection

Posted - Apr 29 2008 :  10:47:32 AM  Show Profile  Visit nightphoto's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hi Vlad,

Good domain name and good idea! I think overall, many more people would be interested in that site than in any Russian camera site since we are such a small group, so it might become a large job, not only for the moderator, but for the expansion of categories, etc. it as it grows.

But, how could you have a site about world photographica and not have Russian cameras too! It would be like having the United Nations, without Russia ;-)

Regards, Bill

Go to Top of Page

Vladislav Kern
Vlad
USA
4251 Posts
My Collection

Posted - Apr 29 2008 :  10:50:32 AM  Show Profile  Visit Vlad's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thank Bill,

I know but we already has this site that goes in such details that the Russian section would probably point to here :)

Vlad
Go to Top of Page
Luiz Paracampo
Luiz Paracampo
Brazil
2000 Posts
My Collection

Posted - Apr 30 2008 :  12:49:28 PM  Show Profile  Visit Luiz Paracampo's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I think this is a brilliant idea. but reallistic speaking we have now a site that is a tremendous goal over all others.
I personally think that the "Russian camera ideology" can not be applied to cameras from elsewhere. High production numbers are one of its embasements. Chinese cameras have also a certain appeal and to them could be applied your ideas.
First I feel a certain fascination on Russsian cameras and so do people being pro or against them.
A curious thing is happening.
While all cameras are getting their pries down, Russian cameras are increasing their average prices. This is easely seen on Ebay..
People interst in Russian cameras is in a ascendent part of the curve.
As you have now a new registered clone site I feel the possibility of making a test including the Eastern block and Chinese cameras as zang had once suggested.
And let we see.. I believe it will not reach our level of information, but more about. better!
Regards
LP
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
USSRPhoto.com Forums © USSRPhoto.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000
Google