Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Vladislav Kern
Vlad

USA
4247 Posts
My Collection

Posted - May 27 2009 :  9:20:02 PM  Show Profile  Visit Vlad's Homepage  Reply with Quote
An interesting Kiev I've ran across on Molotok, I've seen the lenses before like that but not the body..

http://www.ussrphoto.com/UserContent/2752009_647070246.jpeg

http://www.ussrphoto.com/UserContent/2752009_647070246_2.jpeg

http://www.ussrphoto.com/UserContent/2752009_647070246_3.jpeg

http://www.ussrphoto.com/UserContent/2752009_647070246_4.jpeg

http://www.ussrphoto.com/UserContent/2752009_647070246_5.jpeg

Vlad

Bill Parkinson
nightphoto
USA
1027 Posts
My Collection

Posted - May 28 2009 :  10:29:57 PM  Show Profile  Visit nightphoto's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Maybe the "T" stands for "technical" rather than tropical.

Regards, Bill

Go to Top of Page

Vladislav Kern
Vlad
USA
4247 Posts
My Collection

Posted - May 29 2009 :  08:49:14 AM  Show Profile  Visit Vlad's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Actually the seller specifically states that this version is for work in tropical zones.

Here's the original auction:
http://www.molotok.ru/item647070246_redkost_kiev_tropika.html

And the description says:
Фотоаппарат Киев - вариант для работы в тропических условиях. Заводской номер аппарата и объектива в конце имеют букву Т . От обычных отличается использованием в конструкции некорродирующих в условиях тропиков сочетаний металлов и сплавов, а , так же антикоррозионной обработкой внутренних механизмов (см. последнее фото со снятой верхней крышкой).

Camera Kiev - version for work in tropical conditions. Factory number of camera and lens have letter T in the end. Differs from regular ones with construction made of out of anti-corrosion metals and alloys as well and anti-corrosion coating of inside mechanisms (see last photo with top cover taken off.)

Pretty interesting!
Vlad
Go to Top of Page

Bill Parkinson
nightphoto
USA
1027 Posts
My Collection

Posted - May 29 2009 :  10:54:23 AM  Show Profile  Visit nightphoto's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Maybe the seller says this, but I don't see any differences in the metals on the outside of the camera where it would be exposed to moisture the most.

It is interesting but has anyone else here in the forum heard of this? Is there a possibility that it can be a fake with just two engraved "T"s and some paint added to the inside of the top? Or were "tropical" versions of 35mm cameras made? I have only heard of wooden cameras being "tropical" with extra treatment to the wood and bellows which are very prone to damage from tropical weather. As far as Iknow there is no problem with metal 35mm cameras in the tropics.

Regards, Bill

Go to Top of Page
Michel
France
217 Posts
Posted - May 31 2009 :  4:17:37 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Never heard of such model.
Nevertheless, engraving is quite nice and "T" is in the place it should be in the engraving: after the s/n .
Is the paint inside of the top suficient to "tropicalize" such camera?
Go to Top of Page

Vladislav Kern
Vlad
USA
4247 Posts
My Collection

Posted - May 31 2009 :  7:06:48 PM  Show Profile  Visit Vlad's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Michel, according to seller, the mechanical parts of the camera are also coated with with anti-corrosion layer...

Vlad
Go to Top of Page

Bill Parkinson
nightphoto
USA
1027 Posts
My Collection

Posted - May 31 2009 :  10:12:05 PM  Show Profile  Visit nightphoto's Homepage  Reply with Quote
As far as I can see from some research on the internet, it seems that all tropical cameras are made of wood. I could not find any examples of 35mm metal cameras that are "tropical". I believe this is because the wood is the thing that rots in the tropics (and maybe the bellows).

Vlad, have you ever heard of a metal camera that is known as a "tropical". If so, I would expect that the outside of the camera would be treated in some way, against the elements of the weather.

I think this Kiev is unique and probably rare, but that the "T" on the serial numbers does not stand for tropical. As to whether the interior parts are coated with anti-corrosion layer, I would want to see better photos than just a photo like is shown.

Just my opinion and I have learned, as we all have, that just because a seller descibes something does not mean it is accurate.

Regards, Bill

Go to Top of Page
Yuri Boguslavsky
fedka
USA
239 Posts
My Collection

Posted - May 31 2009 :  10:18:05 PM  Show Profile  Visit fedka's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I agree with Bill on this.

We know that "T" lenses exist, but we never established that 'T' is indeed for Tropical. Who would need a Tropical Kiev? Arctic - maybe!

Also, when we discover something (like a "T' body) only now, and nobody ever heard or documented it, it makes me cautious.

The Soviets seldom made very small batches of something. Even gems like TSVVS were made in quantities (hundreds). My point is - we would probably know about 'T' Kievs by now. And if this one is indeed the only known "T" Kiev, it should command a high price.
Go to Top of Page

Vladislav Kern
Vlad
USA
4247 Posts
My Collection

Posted - May 31 2009 :  10:20:51 PM  Show Profile  Visit Vlad's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I agree with you Bill, I'm just simply conveying what seller wrote.. Since Yuri Davidenko is going to be at Bievres with us and is renown Arsenal expert I may ask him about this camera ...

Vlad
Go to Top of Page

Bill Parkinson
nightphoto
USA
1027 Posts
My Collection

Posted - May 31 2009 :  11:15:23 PM  Show Profile  Visit nightphoto's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Good idea Vlad ... maybe Yuri will know.

Maybe Luiz will know if any other 35mm metal cameras are "tropical"?

Regards, Bill

Go to Top of Page
Michel
France
217 Posts
Posted - Jun 01 2009 :  05:46:09 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Vlad,

Did the seller dismantled the camera to say that "the mechanical parts of the camera are also coated with anti-corrosion layer..." ?
Go to Top of Page

Vladislav Kern
Vlad
USA
4247 Posts
My Collection

Posted - Jun 01 2009 :  09:08:27 AM  Show Profile  Visit Vlad's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Short of taking off top cover it does not say...

Vlad.
Go to Top of Page
Zoom
596 Posts
Posted - Jun 01 2009 :  09:34:53 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by nightphoto

I think this Kiev is unique and probably rare, but that the "T" on the serial numbers does not stand for tropical.

This is the tropical variant (тропическое исполнение: "tropicheskoe ispolnenie") indeed.

See also: http://www.zenitcamera.com/qa/qa-indexes.html#tropical
Go to Top of Page
Zoom
596 Posts
Posted - Jun 01 2009 :  09:39:25 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by nightphoto

Maybe Luiz will know if any other 35mm metal cameras are "tropical"?

A Zenits, for example...
Their occurrence at an eBay-like auctions is improbable. All of them are in Africa, Indochina etc... ;)
Go to Top of Page

Vladislav Kern
Vlad
USA
4247 Posts
My Collection

Posted - Jun 01 2009 :  09:57:25 AM  Show Profile  Visit Vlad's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Zoom, thanks for this post, this makes this very interesting.. are there any documents at KMZ or on your site for instance that describe the process or the differences in tropical Zenits vs regular ones?

Thanks,
Vlad.
Go to Top of Page

Bill Parkinson
nightphoto
USA
1027 Posts
My Collection

Posted - Jun 01 2009 :  10:57:41 AM  Show Profile  Visit nightphoto's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thank you Zoom! Now we have the correct answer instead of my wrong ideas!

Regards, Bill

Go to Top of Page
Zoom
596 Posts
Posted - Jun 01 2009 :  11:44:12 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Vlad

...the differences in tropical Zenits vs regular ones?

Another lenses coatings, another lubricants, sometimes another matherials... All against a heightened dampness, high temperature, fungus and mould.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
USSRPhoto.com Forums © USSRPhoto.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000
Google