Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Vladislav Kern
Vlad

USA
4247 Posts
My Collection

Posted - May 31 2009 :  11:14:23 PM  Show Profile  Visit Vlad's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hello all,

Just thought I'd share this funny episode with you all:

Some of you know I love my Horizon-202 and seldom go to a vacation or a trip without it. So the idea of Horizon "Kompakt" had always attracted me - what's not to like - a "Compact" Horizon-202, hopefully the size of Lomo LC-A but panoramic, that's just awesome to carry with you..

So with this in mind I'm getting ready for my Bievres trip and run into an eBay auction with Horizon Kompakt with Buy it now for $130. This is unbelievably low price for this camera - it's usually around $200 so I order one and get in beautiful Lomography box with a with a case and a Horizon book (great kit by the way).. but.. one little problem.. the size of the camera compared to my 202:

http://www.ussrphoto.com/UserContent/3152009_202-Kompakt.JPG

IT'S THE SAME DARN CAMERA with like 50% of 202 features stripped off.... well at least I collect them - on the shelf it goes and my 202 stay in my bag .

What is so compact about it I am still to figure out... maybe that's why it's spelled with "K"

Vlad

Juhani Halmeenmaki
cedricfan
Finland
1013 Posts
My Collection

Posted - Jun 01 2009 :  05:55:49 AM  Show Profile  Visit cedricfan's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Vlad

What is so compact about it I am still to figure out... maybe that's why it's spelled with "K"

quote:

IT'S THE SAME DARN CAMERA with like 50% of 202 features stripped off....

That is it: compact list of features

Best regards,
Juhani
Go to Top of Page

Vladislav Kern
Vlad
USA
4247 Posts
My Collection

Posted - Jun 01 2009 :  09:10:02 AM  Show Profile  Visit Vlad's Homepage  Reply with Quote
You got that right! This is probably the most unexpected result of a purchase of a Russian camera for me, since not a single person anywhere ever mentioned this camera to be an exact size as Horizon-202...

Vlad
Go to Top of Page
Zoom
596 Posts
Posted - Jun 01 2009 :  09:28:42 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

...a "Compact" Horizon-202, hopefully the size of Lomo LC-A but panoramic, that's just awesome to carry with you..

No. This name is from Lomo-compact ("ad honorem"), nothing more...

quote:

http://translate.google.com ...
Translation: English > German
Compact
adjective
1. dicht
2. fest
3. kompakt

;)
Go to Top of Page

Vladislav Kern
Vlad
USA
4247 Posts
My Collection

Posted - Jun 01 2009 :  09:51:58 AM  Show Profile  Visit Vlad's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thanks Zoom, the "K" thing was a joke , but it does makes sense that it is German since Lomographic society HQ is in Austria - I thought it was actually Russian transliteration since it is "K" in Russian too..

And please pass on my compliments about Horizon 202 at the factory, it is truly is a great camera even in the age of digital photography there is not a substitute for it.

Vlad.
Go to Top of Page
David Tomlinson
RCCCUK
United Kingdom
208 Posts
Posted - Jun 03 2009 :  09:39:06 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Vlad,

In my description of the Horizon Kompakt in the Wiki Catalog I did mention that the body was based on the Horizon 202, plus all its other shortcomings.

David.
Go to Top of Page

Vladislav Kern
Vlad
USA
4247 Posts
My Collection

Posted - Jun 03 2009 :  10:19:58 AM  Show Profile  Visit Vlad's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thanks David, yes I see that.. for some reason it didn't register with me that it was applied to its size too... i was assuming it was just miniaturized 202 - same basic shape.. you know sometimes you have a certain expectation in your mind, it was just an interesting surprise to me personally ...

Vlad
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
USSRPhoto.com Forums © USSRPhoto.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000
Google