Sokol Automat aperture problems
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Blacknoise
36 Posts
Posted - Jun 13 2009 :  06:35:22 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi there,

I picked up a Sokol Automat the other day, and although the shutter and metering seems fine, the aperture seems oily and sticky. It closes a little when you fire the shutter (on B), but it does this slowly and doesn't close all the way. I know that I probably need to remove the lens groups and clean the diaphragm with a solvent, but I cant quite figure out how to get in there.

Thanks in advance for any help :)

Rob
Blacknoise
36 Posts
Posted - Jun 18 2009 :  12:12:03 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Anyone?
Go to Top of Page
Richard Nuttall
Poolhall
United Kingdom
163 Posts
Posted - Jun 18 2009 :  1:30:09 PM  Show Profile  Click to see Poolhall's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Sorry cant help you with that one I have never been into a Sokol, good luck with it and hope someone can help

Samsung GX-10,too many Russian Lenses, A lot of Zenits, some Yashica,and finally a Minox35GT
Go to Top of Page
Luiz Paracampo
Luiz Paracampo
Brazil
1986 Posts
My Collection

Posted - Jun 18 2009 :  8:53:16 PM  Show Profile  Visit Luiz Paracampo's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hello Blacknoise!
sokol cameras are not easy to dismantle the shutter and exposure meter system is very very complex. fortunatedly the problems in the camera are only two that do not need to dismantle its complex heart.
The problems are two: Sticky shutter or stick mechanical computer.
the stick shutter needs to be removed the slotted ring that holds the "Industar 70" plate with the holes for the photocell. the following steps are: remove the plate, remove the plastic lens, remve the perforated cell diaphragm plate and carefully desolder the photocell. Caera is focus by front element. Put focus in infinity and remove the holder ring. Beware in this action the front lens thread is now loose and its position is critial! Mark the top with a marker , cont the turns anticlockwise and see the position it scapes from the thread! another critical position! An error in replacing -the camera will never have more focus accuracy! Now you will remove the inner lens. It is a negative one carefully go with a jewellers screw drive place the piont in the slot of the ring and give a slight knock with a small hammer to loose the tight thread.
Remove the lens. Now blades are opened.
remove battery, put the camera in the camera in manual put the shuter in "B" and diaphragam in "22" clich the shutter and mantain it opened, preferably with a locking cable release.
After this use moisted cotton swab Only on Proanalyse Benzene and begin carefully to clean the diaphragm blades! I said carefully! with a very little moisted cotton swab repeat three times and see how the blades mnow work by turning the diaphragm ring if blades are still "glued" they will move slowly. If the rear lens will be stained you can clean it using the same method. Never try to remove the rear lens! if everything ok, release the shutter and do the same in the shutter blades. Now put the camera in auto form with shutter in 30 Put the battery and fire it wir the rear door opened (photocell in place! Fire it in a very dark place and sse if the shutter operates with diaphagm wide opened. - go to a well illuminated place and see if the shutter goes quick with the diaphragm closed. It is OK! now reverse the operation and assemble the units.
the other deffective point is the mechanical computer this is easier. Open the top remove rangefinder and witha a seringe with the same benzene moists the gears . thew benzene is extremely volatile dissolve the old oil and grease and relubs everything the camera is ready now reverse the operation.
Never try to remove the shutter once it is linked to the computer and it has at least 10 millions of combinations to be mounted and only one works!
Good luck!
Go to Top of Page
Blacknoise
36 Posts
Posted - Jun 19 2009 :  4:32:18 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks a lot for the instructions :) I've done some repair work before, and your directions seem to detail any pitfalls, so I dont think it should be a problem. I'll just add it to the list of broken things! Currently a Zenit 3m and a Konica rangefinder.

Thanks again :)

Rob
Go to Top of Page
Blacknoise
36 Posts
Posted - Jun 24 2009 :  2:49:09 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi there,

I managed to get the lens plate off, and the front lens element out. But I've had trouble removing the small black ring holding the internal lens in. It just wont budge. Any ideas?

EDIT: Reground the end of my lens spanners and gave it some elbow grease and it popped right out :)

Thanks

Rob

Edited by - Blacknoise on Jun 24 2009 2:59:40 PM
Go to Top of Page
Blacknoise
36 Posts
Posted - Jun 24 2009 :  4:44:55 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The solvent seems to have partly fixed the aperture, but it was still sticky, so i removed the rangefinder to clean the gears. I cant get the finder to go back properly. The rf works ok, but the little exposure display gives the wrong reading. Any ideas?

Thanks

Rob
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
USSRPhoto.com Forums © USSRPhoto.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000
Google