Leningrad shutter jam
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Blacknoise
36 Posts
Posted - Jun 30 2009 :  12:39:48 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi there,

I've been testing out my new leningrad today, the film shot and rewound ok. The problem came after I had unloaded the film. The shutter will no longer release, the spring motor is fully wound and the rewinding clutch is fully screwed in. Pressing the shutter button has absolutely no effect. Half way through the roll, my camera seemed to jam a bit, this was ok after i wound the spring motor a little. I hear this is a common problem caused by using the normal 35mm cassettes. I'm currently on the lookout for some of the reloadable metal types.

Anyone know how I can unlock my camera?

Thanks in advance

Rob

Juhani Halmeenmaki
cedricfan
Finland
1013 Posts
My Collection

Posted - Jun 30 2009 :  1:08:23 PM  Show Profile  Visit cedricfan's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Well, I never used anything but "modern western" film in original cassettes and never had any problems with mine. I would rather say that a complicated 50y old camera can have a mechanical problem due to age rather than cassette type.

Best regards,
Juhani
Go to Top of Page
Blacknoise
36 Posts
Posted - Jun 30 2009 :  2:33:42 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey,

I managed to release the shutter by turning the speed knob against the spring tension (as I read in another post). The shutter releases a few times, then needs this doing again. It looks as tho the curtains are a little slack. Is this an indication that I need to adjust the curtain tension? or does it show a more serious problem?

EDIT: It is the second (trailing) curtain that apears slightly baggy at one side, the first is fine. The shutter apears to operate ok other than this.

Thanks

Rob

Edited by - Blacknoise on Jun 30 2009 2:46:19 PM
Go to Top of Page
Luiz Paracampo
Luiz Paracampo
Brazil
1981 Posts
My Collection

Posted - Jul 01 2009 :  5:39:33 PM  Show Profile  Visit Luiz Paracampo's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Black noise!
A question: When you turn the rewind knob in the Leningrad the forket works properly?
The normal is dont. The forket only engages when the the button is up the knob in the down position frees the internal forket.
When engaged the film brakes the winding mechanism.
Easy!
In this same link I posted about the working system of this device.
LP
Go to Top of Page
Luiz Paracampo
Luiz Paracampo
Brazil
1981 Posts
My Collection

Posted - Jul 01 2009 :  6:00:40 PM  Show Profile  Visit Luiz Paracampo's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Pictures at:

http://www.ussrphoto.com/Wiki/default.asp?WikiCatID=51&ParentID=49&ContentID=1191&Item=Leningrad%27s+rewind+knob%2E
Go to Top of Page
Blacknoise
36 Posts
Posted - Jul 01 2009 :  6:04:17 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the advice Luiz, although I have now obtained a refund from the (very honest) eBay seller, I think the curtain had begun to seperate from the drum, as I mentioned above, and I dont think it would be worth the cost of repair.

Rob
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
USSRPhoto.com Forums © USSRPhoto.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000
Google