Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
dee * [ adopted ] dowling
dee

United Kingdom
114 Posts
Posted - Dec 28 2009 :  3:05:25 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My Kontax II has returned from Ukraine s/he says a touch apprehensively ! It's not quite ex-USSR , but has been there and back LOL . I hope that this counts !

It's a bitsa from Contax parts spread across my table and sent to Ukraine for the Arsenal techs to use as a donor body for a Kiev IIa . [ Cyrillic script dee'slexia ! ]

This did not happen - it now has a Kiev II shutter , restored rear leather and new front panels which do not quite match .
I can't belive that these guys had the dedication to rebuild this camera in it's entirety for £60 .

It is perfect for ME because it is identity compromised , stretches across the decades from 1937 to late 50s , embodies the continuation of the Kontax line in two ' lives ' and looks and works exquisitely - the Kiev / Arsenal connection is also mind blowing . There is no doubt that the techs take immense pride in restoring these cameras - and probably appreciate the irony of making a Contax useable again [ I doubt they have ever worked on a Contax due to the inexplicable fear of ' contamination ' .
It's likely to be a whole lot better for it's decades younger ' heart ' too !
This Kontax II has no past - in it's present form - it's a true hybrid - even the back and body are from different cameras . It would , inevitably become a donor for more ' worthy ' cameras , but against all the odds , it's shining and working once more . It's my rescue camera . Maybe this sound silly , but were it not for Kiev , and the care of those engineers , this camera would be lost forever .
As of Christmas 2009 with J3 Sonnar- it's a new camera .

The chrome is unusual - it is more coarse even than the somewhat tired Contax III which they also lovingly restored - so that it sparkles in the light .

I am afraid that a Contax IV is next to arrive with a rigid Sonnar ! This really is a collaborative effort !

Vladislav Kern
Vlad
USA
4247 Posts
My Collection

Posted - Dec 28 2009 :  3:16:41 PM  Show Profile  Visit Vlad's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hi Dee,
you keep talking about these, we are yet to see the photos of these marvels! I'm extremely curious to see it! You're more than welcome to email me the pictures if you can photograph it, I will post them for you if you're unsure how to do it on the forum.

Cheers,
Vlad
Go to Top of Page
Nicolas
Gelios
USA
57 Posts
Posted - Dec 30 2009 :  12:00:44 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I don't understand the point... You had some Contax spare parts and a Kiev IIa, am I right? Then, you sent both for crossbreeding and your hybrid camera works. Great. Then?
Go to Top of Page
Richard Nuttall
Poolhall
United Kingdom
163 Posts
Posted - Dec 30 2009 :  5:45:48 PM  Show Profile  Click to see Poolhall's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Nice one Dee like Vlad says we would love to see some photos of your hybrids they sound not only interesting but probably unique too

Samsung GX-10,too many Russian Lenses, A lot of Zenits, an Almaz 103 a few Yashica,and finally a Minox35GT
Go to Top of Page
dee
United Kingdom
114 Posts
Posted - Dec 30 2009 :  6:38:09 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
They never used the Kiev IIa - just rebuilt the parts camera in it's entirety - which is lot more work for the Arsenal guys - beyond what I expected of them .
Can someone guide me through posting pics ? Help !
Go to Top of Page

Vladislav Kern
Vlad
USA
4247 Posts
My Collection

Posted - Dec 30 2009 :  7:26:16 PM  Show Profile  Visit Vlad's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Dee, when you're replying to the thread on your left there is a yellow link that says "Upload Image". Click that and window will open. Then click Browse button, and select a file from your computer. Then click Upload button. A picture will upload and window will close. Submit your reply and image will be there.

Hope that helps.

Cheers,
Vlad
Go to Top of Page
dee
United Kingdom
114 Posts
Posted - Jan 04 2010 :  1:58:50 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

http://www.ussrphoto.com/UserContent/412010_KONTAX ONE.jpg

My first upload ? This should be my lovely Contax rescue camera with Kiev parts - by Kiev techs and a J3 with Sonnar mount , criminally dee'faced with black paint to erase the engraving .
Go to Top of Page

Bill Parkinson
nightphoto
USA
1027 Posts
My Collection

Posted - Jan 05 2010 :  01:57:05 AM  Show Profile  Visit nightphoto's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hi Dee,

Very nice camera and a great photo of it! It must be very nice to use! Good work on the upload and looking forward to more photos of your cameras.

Regards, Bill

Go to Top of Page
dee
United Kingdom
114 Posts
Posted - Jan 25 2010 :  5:14:33 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mike has a friend coming to UK and will post my Contax IV which will have the more grained new 1950s Leather as my Kontax II .
Complete with rigid 50mm f 2 Sonnar . It's genuine Contax body and plain meter cover Kiev 4 top plate , working meter , and controls .
All courtesy of the Arsenal techs , of course .
I just love having several cameras rebuilt by the original Kiev techs ... I know it's silly , but this may not be possible in the near future .
It's not about money or ' value ' just having these cameras from this source .
The KNeB IV - same combination is to be painted - in the summer - it's -25c in Kiev now !
Pictures to follow .
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
USSRPhoto.com Forums © USSRPhoto.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000
Google