Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
dee * [ adopted ] dowling
dee

United Kingdom
114 Posts
Posted - Jan 25 2010 :  5:31:36 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have been questioning why I like Soviet era cameras .

Originally , in mid 2006 , I bought a pair of black Leica copies -from Mika at Moscow Photo .
I loved using them on a rare holiday and the 50s feel of the slides .
This revived my snapshooting after a 10 year break .

Was it because they were inexpensive ? Cost effective substitute Leicas ? From a mysterious culture ?

Probably a little of everything , but I was probably seduced by the Leica connection more than USSR .

it does not explain looking for more - I began to become intrigued by the derivations on the original Leica II base - Zorki S and Zenit S in particular .

OK , they are affordable , although I bought restored and more expensive cameras and immaculate faux wartime Leicas .
These I bought for the style , finish and exquiste , if fanciful engraving !
These are really unique to the new era of craftsmanship where the input seems out of all proportion to the selling price -£60 / 70 Zorki S / 1 .

But Kiev / Contax blurred the boundaries until origin is immaterial - quality of early cameras is that of my Contax III - but with a different chrome finish .

I have several Fed 2 , but ultimately , it's the Leica II / Contax close cousins which I prefer .

As for collecting rather than using - Guilty as charged , but why not ?

Vladislav Kern
Vlad
USA
4247 Posts
My Collection

Posted - Jan 25 2010 :  5:51:18 PM  Show Profile  Visit Vlad's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Dee,

I have to admit I am also always seduced by Mika's copies as well . Probably why I had the USSRPhoto.com anniversary camera made by his craftsman. They are always immaculate and so new looking, almost like they've just came off the assembly line. Something about seeing a vintage camera in new condition that always gets me . I have quite a few of his faux "rare" variation of Soviet cameras. Holding my self back from the straight fake Leicas.. want to keep it in the Soviet domain, just space considerations .

Unlike yourself personally I was always attracted to Leica II copies rather than Contax, although Kievs are great cameras as well, the story of FED commune is for some reason much more dear to me..

Cheers and keep collecting!

Vlad
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
USSRPhoto.com Forums © USSRPhoto.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000
Google