1948? Kiev III on Ebay
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
SteveA
United Kingdom
129 Posts
Posted - Jun 07 2016 :  03:20:39 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi all. Just trawling Ebay and spotted this - http://www.ebay.com/itm/KIEV-3-Russian-Contax-III-Camera-481061-ZK-2-50mm-lens-4900678-made-in-1948-/351745423196?hash=item51e5a9375c:g:zPUAAOSw6btXSvRi
Collapsible Zorki lens from 1949 though camera is 1948 - the mount looks to be of Zeiss origin.
Observations: The hinged meter cover does not appear to be Zeiss, nor is the meter top cover pressing. They match the appearance of Kiev pressings.
The camera top cover is Zeiss as witnessed by the embellishment around the frame counter. The meter calculator itself is Zeiss as also appears to be the shutter release and index. If genuine this must be quite a rarity, what do others think?

Cheers,

Steve
altix
Ukraine
152 Posts
Posted - Jun 07 2016 :  04:01:01 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Dear Steve,

The lens is original. But I doubt that the camera is genuine. It is rather a mixture of Contax and Kiev to make the price high. The engraving of the serial number is faked. The top cover pressing is from Contax Dresden. I have never seen any Kiev III or Contax Jena III with the typical Dresden Contax top cover. I suppose that the pressing form for this particular detail was destroyed in February 1945. Jena workers reconstructed the pressing form but with slightly different shape.

As for me this camera worths nothing.
altix
Go to Top of Page
Lenny
496 Posts
Posted - Jun 07 2016 :  05:33:59 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
A famous and well known seller for years. Also a totally black Zarya is offered now, when there never was a black version originally in my opinion. Seems there is a connection to modify. Good for those who want a black Zarya. I thought this was well known.
Go to Top of Page

jed
France
391 Posts
My Collection

Posted - Jun 07 2016 :  06:46:21 AM  Show Profile  Visit jed's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Comments should be kept secret IMHO. Next time forgers will improve.
Go to Top of Page
altix
Ukraine
152 Posts
Posted - Jun 07 2016 :  07:29:22 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Dear Jed,

it is almost impossible to reproduce the special Jena font without the original pantograph template. I hope it was lost many years ago. So it is still very easy to detect the faked early Kievs or faked "Sonnars" . Even if the forger would make the canonic look of the current camera everybody with some experience can detect that it was faked. It is just pity that Contax camera was spoiled in the current case.

altix
Go to Top of Page
SteveA
United Kingdom
129 Posts
Posted - Jun 07 2016 :  11:16:23 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Many thanks for the comments - to me it looked like a hybrid built up from a Kiev and a Contax - pity a Contax III was sacrificed...

Steve
Go to Top of Page
Jacques M.
France
2584 Posts
Posted - Jun 07 2016 :  11:35:28 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

Just the same as Steve. I had not noticed that the Jena Contaxes III and the Jena Kiev III did not have this rim round the counter frame...

Jacques.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
USSRPhoto.com Forums © USSRPhoto.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000
Google