Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
sean perry
seany65

United Kingdom
313 Posts
Posted - Oct 25 2016 :  1:27:25 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I was just wondering if anyone knows of a simple way to tell between I-50's that were made for rangefinders and those made for slrs?

Apart from the mounting them on a camera, as I want to be able to tell them apart while looking on ebay, as the seller may be mistaken.

Any help would be much appreciated.

SteveA
United Kingdom
129 Posts
Posted - Oct 25 2016 :  1:45:12 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi, taker a look at http://forum.mflenses.com/zenit-3m-industar-50-5cm-f3-5-red-p-slr-and-rf-t40095.html
The two lenses are next to each other in a photo, basically the Zenit one is shorter than the FED/Zorki one.

Cheers,

Steve
Go to Top of Page

Vladislav Kern
Vlad
USA
4247 Posts
My Collection

Posted - Oct 25 2016 :  2:02:57 PM  Show Profile  Visit Vlad's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Yup, the SLR is the "pancake" lens, as the mirror housing provides the extra distance needed from the film plane.
Go to Top of Page
Alex_Rus
Russia
35 Posts
Posted - Oct 25 2016 :  2:11:04 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I-50 for rangefinders has minimal distance (on scale) 1m
SLRs - 0.65m
Go to Top of Page
sean perry
seany65
United Kingdom
313 Posts
Posted - Oct 25 2016 :  3:20:47 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the quick replies and the info everyone.

You've made it easy for me now.

Go to Top of Page
sean perry
seany65
United Kingdom
313 Posts
Posted - Oct 25 2016 :  3:33:07 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've just found a black Industar 50 lens, serial No. 6951307, labelled as M39, on ebay and I was wondering if the M42 versions were all labelled Industar 50-2, or was that a second version of the lens?

Any help would be much appreciated.
Go to Top of Page

Milo Schekkerman
Valkir1987
Netherlands
195 Posts
Posted - Oct 26 2016 :  03:05:08 AM  Show Profile  Click to see Valkir1987's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
I was wondering if the M42 versions were all labelled Industar 50-2, or was that a second version of the lens?

It's just the second version. In fact there are three different types in M42. On the earliest one you can use both screw in filters and push on 36mm filters.
Go to Top of Page
sean perry
seany65
United Kingdom
313 Posts
Posted - Oct 26 2016 :  5:32:03 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the infoMilo.

They don't like to make it easy for us, do they? So is there any chance that the black one I mentioned earlier is a zm39 version?

Could you please tell me What the differences are between the 3 m42 types

@Alex_Rus, it looks like the slr lens in the pic that SteveA posted a link to, has a minimum marked distance of 1 metre, so were some not marked 'correctly'?
Go to Top of Page
Zoom
596 Posts
Posted - Oct 27 2016 :  4:40:07 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by seany65

I've just found a black Industar 50 lens, serial No. 6951307, labelled as M39, on ebay and I was wondering if the M42 versions were all labelled Industar 50-2, or was that a second version of the lens?

"2" is M42x1
See also http://www.zenitcamera.com/qa/qa-indexes.html#two (in Russian only, sorry)
Go to Top of Page
sean perry
seany65
United Kingdom
313 Posts
Posted - Oct 28 2016 :  12:46:59 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello zoom, thanks for the link, although as a typical 'Brit' I'm useless at foreign languages. I do remember watching a couple of episodes of "Russian language and people" on BBC tv decades ago. I can say 'yes', 'no', 'hello', 'thank you' and I could have a go at saying 'goodbye, summer', which was the title of a sort of 'mini-soap' programme that they had in the series, to show how Russian was used in 'real life'. There were two women in it that made think 'Well, hello!'

Anyway, I understand that the '2' version is only m42, but the black lens I found doesn't have '2' written on it, and so I was wondering if it could be a zenit m39 version.
Go to Top of Page

Alfa2
Poland
349 Posts
Posted - Oct 29 2016 :  02:45:09 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I can describe my understanding of this "-2".
This text under the link tells the notation with 2 at the end was implemented to distinguish between M42 and M39 lenses. But it is not written when this implementation was done. Seems it was done after I-50 appiered on market.
Saying other words. If a lens has "-2" at the end you can be sure this is M42. When there is no "-2" at the end - you never know by name only.
Go to Top of Page
sean perry
seany65
United Kingdom
313 Posts
Posted - Oct 30 2016 :  06:11:19 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks alfa2.
Go to Top of Page
Zoom
596 Posts
Posted - Oct 30 2016 :  4:02:34 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Alfa2

But it is not written when this implementation was done.

Indeed, unfortunately this moment is unknown.
Go to Top of Page
Pierre Tizien
Moxies
France
183 Posts
My Collection

Posted - Nov 01 2016 :  3:26:30 PM  Show Profile  Visit Moxies's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Some "SLR" version of I-50 sometime have minimal focus distance 1m because it was originaly LTM version.
LTM are just SLR version with "macro" ring. If you remove it, your LTM will be a SLR.
Check here : http://t.hacquard.free.fr/site1/l_industar_50.html

I think M42 I-50 are quite rare, only the last ones. But black I-50 are not rare, there are also zebra version (black body and silver aperture ring), for export (but not only).
Go to Top of Page
sean perry
seany65
United Kingdom
313 Posts
Posted - Nov 02 2016 :  7:16:37 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks foe the replies, zoom and moxies. Even though I don't read or speak French, I could make a fair guess at what the writing meant.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
USSRPhoto.com Forums © USSRPhoto.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000
Google