Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Vladislav Kern
Vlad

USA
4247 Posts
My Collection

Posted - Jan 21 2008 :  4:01:02 PM  Show Profile  Visit Vlad's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:

Luiz Paracampo wrote:

People
If we converge all our member's knowledge in Russian equipment in this forum, we will be in a near future, probable the first reference in Soviet and Russian equipment (and contribute for the price rising of such equipment). As I see things, those cameras very little known for so much time in the west, are now bringing more and more interest of several people world wide.
I sugest in the near future to reorganize data in the "Equipment Catalog" in order to be easily accessed for consultation by everyone interested in knowing detail of a so unique industry.

Luiz,

I want to hear your ideas on reorganizing the catalog, if we are to do it, it should rather be sooner than later while the amount of entries is still manageable.. What do you think are current deficiencies? How can I make them better?

Also if anyone else has any issues/suggestions please I want to hear them, this way I can make appropriate changes if they make sense in the current system.

Thanks,
Vlad

Aidas Pikiotas
AidasCams
Lithuania
973 Posts
My Collection

Posted - Jan 22 2008 :  12:07:28 AM  Show Profile  Visit AidasCams's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hi Vlad,
I have few suggestions (and wishes) how to reorganize the site. Although the amount of entries is still manageable, as you said, but finding certain camera is complicated enough:
1. to split the huge section into smaller groups. For example KMZ section could have few subdirectories: Moskva, Zenit, Zorki, Others, etc (as I suggested you at the wery beggining).
2. to list the cameras in an alphabetical order (now we can find Moskva both on the top and at the end of the list).
3. It would be great to have "Known examples" section for every single camera entry. Now we started project "Serial Numbers" and I like it a lot. Recently we have at least 5 cameras in this group, but I would like to have hundreds of them ... If you are a camera collector, serial numbers mean (and tell you) a lot of information about development of particular camera. We already have a great list of uncommon cameras in WIKi catalogue. I would like to know the known serials of "Elikon' numberless, Kiev-35AM, let's say "Sport" or "Reporter", which period "Kalimar TRL100" were exported to USA and in what quantites, etc... I don't know is it easy to do technically, but let's talk about such ideas.

Regards,
Aidas
Go to Top of Page
okynek
759 Posts
Posted - Jan 22 2008 :  07:20:21 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This is not about catalog, but may be we can have section(s) about restoration and rebuild old and not so old cameras and lenses. As well as tips how to store them, how to display them. I personally have many questions how to clean cameras, how to get rid of ugly spots on chrome, how to make them shine. What chemical to use, and specially what not to use. How to prepare cameras for long time storage. What errors to avoid and so on.
Also would be interesting to have reports about camera shows all around the word. Reports about auctions.
And may be we can have catalog of owners of rare and special cameras (who has what)? Voluntarily of cause.
Go to Top of Page

Vladislav Kern
Vlad
USA
4247 Posts
My Collection

Posted - Jan 22 2008 :  09:52:41 AM  Show Profile  Visit Vlad's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by AidasCams

Hi Vlad,
I have few suggestions (and wishes) how to reorganize the site. Although the amount of entries is still manageable, as you said, but finding certain camera is complicated enough:
1. to split the huge section into smaller groups. For example KMZ section could have few subdirectories: Moskva, Zenit, Zorki, Others, etc (as I suggested you at the wery beggining).

Aidas, it is a great idea and that is possible to do, although I cannot introduce a third level inside KMZ for example, it'll mean almost completely rewriting the site, but instead of KMZ - Zenit - Zorki category we can do KMZ - Zenit, KMZ - Zorki, KMZ - Moskva, KMZ - Other

This will be essentially the same thing. You are right, it is way too cluttered in there now.

quote:

2. to list the cameras in an alphabetical order (now we can find Moskva both on the top and at the end of the list).

Well that tell me you have not been using the catalog much, man! Shame on you! LOL I've added 3 different sortings about 2 weeks ago, you can sort by Chronological which is default, also Alphabet and Most Recently Added and that setting is saved for your account once you click on it so it carries over through the rest of the site. So if you pick By Alphabet, it'll stay by Alphabet in all other categories unless you change it again.

quote:

3. It would be great to have "Known examples" section for every single camera entry. Now we started project "Serial Numbers" and I like it a lot. Recently we have at least 5 cameras in this group, but I would like to have hundreds of them ... If you are a camera collector, serial numbers mean (and tell you) a lot of information about development of particular camera. We already have a great list of uncommon cameras in WIKi catalogue. I would like to know the known serials of "Elikon' numberless, Kiev-35AM, let's say "Sport" or "Reporter", which period "Kalimar TRL100" were exported to USA and in what quantites, etc... I don't know is it easy to do technically, but let's talk about such ideas.

That is a good idea, I did think that it kind of makes it redundant to have that separately, if it is tied to the camera in the catalog it may be better organization... maybe the simple way to do it, just paste it in the end of the WIKI description of that particular camera with heading "Known Serial Numbers" what do you think? If it does need to be separated I can in the future create a second text box int he wiki entry for that purpose, but I don't really see the point where you can pretty much put anything int he textbox of the current entry... just create a heading and paste those numbers in there... If that is ok with everyone, I can move the created serial number entries into camera entries themselves.

Vlad
Go to Top of Page

Vladislav Kern
Vlad
USA
4247 Posts
My Collection

Posted - Jan 22 2008 :  09:59:02 AM  Show Profile  Visit Vlad's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by okynek

This is not about catalog, but may be we can have section(s) about restoration and rebuild old and not so old cameras and lenses. As well as tips how to store them, how to display them. I personally have many questions how to clean cameras, how to get rid of ugly spots on chrome, how to make them shine. What chemical to use, and specially what not to use. How to prepare cameras for long time storage. What errors to avoid and so on.
Also would be interesting to have reports about camera shows all around the word. Reports about auctions.
And may be we can have catalog of owners of rare and special cameras (who has what)? Voluntarily of cause.

Okynek, that is what the Member Content Articles and Blogs sections are for. Right now there isn't much content but as it grows I can start to categorize it more depending on what content we have. Like for example I just posted my research on Svetozor Polariod there... Also if that article section starts to see some use, I may introduce separate section on the home page called "Featured Member Articles" so your article will stay there for people to click and read. But for now, not many articles are added.. we'll see if that changes.

Regarding cleaning cameras - that is my favorite thing to do, I may post an article on what I use and how I do it and what I've learned at some point, you gave me an idea for a good article now. I am writing a really cool module for this site right now (I hope you guys will like it), when I'm done with it and posted it, I will start writing some blogs myself as well.

Vlad
Go to Top of Page
Luiz Paracampo
Luiz Paracampo
Brazil
1981 Posts
My Collection

Posted - Jan 22 2008 :  3:05:48 PM  Show Profile  Visit Luiz Paracampo's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Vlad and members
At first the overall lay out of "Equipment" is good.
We must hear from each of you all the best FEASABLE sggestions.
My prime suggestion is to built a kind of separate page - not different than the present one but a large calling of "Equipment Catalog" That should now be called "Reference Data - Equipment, Technology and Historic"
Second, I want to call your attention that I feel that the splendid photos that illustrate some conversations can't be lost in the amount of words talked abroad. So a suggest an auto opening of a calling link since any picture should be posted, making a natural complement information to the present index opening a direct call icon to each forum in a new index. This new index should be called "Extraordinary References".
Let us discuss the ideas.
Alea Jacta Est
Regards
Luiz
Go to Top of Page

Aidas Pikiotas
AidasCams
Lithuania
973 Posts
My Collection

Posted - Jan 23 2008 :  01:48:25 AM  Show Profile  Visit AidasCams's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hi Vlad,

I like your ideas - may be let's try ..

Regards,
Aidas
Go to Top of Page

Bill Parkinson
nightphoto
USA
1027 Posts
My Collection

Posted - Jan 24 2008 :  10:22:49 PM  Show Profile  Visit nightphoto's Homepage  Reply with Quote
It might be good to have a sort of "site map" page, but just for the WIKI catalog. It would be a clickable table of contents where you could go to any entry, any camera, or any area of the catalog with just one or two clicks because all the entries in this index would be "links" to the right page.
So you would not have to look down the list of photos ... just read a list and click on the right entry. Maybe even when you click on an arrow in front of the "ZENIT" listing on this page, a list of the major types would open right up below it without going to another page.

My idea is to make this index page have the list with no photos or anything else on it, and it would cover the whole screen, not just a long list on the left, but maybe 3 or 4 columns wide. No ads, no photos, nothing but a very clean uncluttered page.

Regards, Bill

Go to Top of Page

Vladislav Kern
Vlad
USA
4247 Posts
My Collection

Posted - Jan 24 2008 :  10:25:47 PM  Show Profile  Visit Vlad's Homepage  Reply with Quote
That's a good idea too, maybe I'll add a link called site map on top...
Go to Top of Page

Vladislav Kern
Vlad
USA
4247 Posts
My Collection

Posted - Jan 24 2008 :  11:27:49 PM  Show Profile  Visit Vlad's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Whew!!! That was a lot of work.. I reorganized the categories in the wiki catalog, if you see something out of place that I missed please use "Request Category Change" feature under the wiki entry.

Also let me know if the categories I created are OK... I can still make modifications if it's not satisfactory... next is to move the serial #s into the camera entries themselves..

Vlad.
Go to Top of Page

Vladislav Kern
Vlad
USA
4247 Posts
My Collection

Posted - Jan 24 2008 :  11:54:17 PM  Show Profile  Visit Vlad's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Bill,

I've added that site map for you.. It's on the Catalog page under the search box you will see "Wiki Catalog Index".. that gives you everything in catalog.

Vlad.
Go to Top of Page

Aidas Pikiotas
AidasCams
Lithuania
973 Posts
My Collection

Posted - Jan 25 2008 :  04:59:48 AM  Show Profile  Visit AidasCams's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Vlad,

Your site now becoming better and better ... Thanks!

Regards,
Aidas
Go to Top of Page
Michel
France
217 Posts
Posted - Jan 25 2008 :  08:31:42 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Vlad,

I only can do a "copy-paste" from Aidas's above message

Your site now becoming better and better ... Thanks!

Michel.
Go to Top of Page

Vladislav Kern
Vlad
USA
4247 Posts
My Collection

Posted - Jan 25 2008 :  10:51:49 AM  Show Profile  Visit Vlad's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thanks for your kind words everyone, still working on more changes!

Vlad
Go to Top of Page

Vladislav Kern
Vlad
USA
4247 Posts
My Collection

Posted - Jan 25 2008 :  12:40:46 PM  Show Profile  Visit Vlad's Homepage  Reply with Quote
As you noticed I also added an avatar image to the forums. You can upload an image via image upload feature on the forum that is 150x150 pixels and stick the link to it into your profile, just make sure to strip off the [ img ] tags.

Vlad.
Go to Top of Page

Vladislav Kern
Vlad
USA
4247 Posts
My Collection

Posted - Jan 25 2008 :  2:45:49 PM  Show Profile  Visit Vlad's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Luiz Paracampo

Vlad and members
At first the overall lay out of "Equipment" is good.
We must hear from each of you all the best FEASABLE sggestions.
My prime suggestion is to built a kind of separate page - not different than the present one but a large calling of "Equipment Catalog" That should now be called "Reference Data - Equipment, Technology and Historic"
Second, I want to call your attention that I feel that the splendid photos that illustrate some conversations can't be lost in the amount of words talked abroad. So a suggest an auto opening of a calling link since any picture should be posted, making a natural complement information to the present index opening a direct call icon to each forum in a new index. This new index should be called "Extraordinary References".
Let us discuss the ideas.
Alea Jacta Est
Regards
Luiz

Luiz,

I've renamed the Equipment Catalog link into "Wiki Catalog" it is much more general definition. Since "Catalog" term is a centerpiece of the site I am hesitant to actually rename it to something else that does not have word "Catalog" in it, it may create some serious confusion. You are correct it is not just Equipment Catalog anymore, it is much much more... so I would hope that "Wiki Catalog" should suffice...

And to state something to all members here that don't know - Luiz Paracampo was the person who came up with the idea of having a central knowledge site about the Soviet/Russian cameras and the one whose passion for it had pushed me to create this site. Luiz gotta be the "sickest" person of us all who is sick with the Soviet camera disease. I guess you can say he is one of the forefathers of USSRPhoto.com and I can't thank him enough for pushing me to create this resource. Saying that, Luiz I hope you like this current reorganization of the catalog... I always take anyone's ideas seriously since you are the users of this site, and all you suggestions help improve the overall user experience here.. So please! DO NOT hesitate to write about anything that you seem to dislike in using of the site... I want to make it as simple and comprehensive as possible.
Go to Top of Page

Vladislav Kern
Vlad
USA
4247 Posts
My Collection

Posted - Jan 29 2008 :  2:06:41 PM  Show Profile  Visit Vlad's Homepage  Reply with Quote
As promised the serial #s for the cameras were moved to its respective entries (see Recently Edited section on the home page) and the Serial Numbers section is removed from catalog, actually replaced by Advertising Brochures, to which I've added the only entry I had but it has a LOT of different brochures in it.

I also need suggestions on how to reorganize the History, Documents and Ephemera section of the catalog since I don't particularly like how some stuff is sitting together in the same section even though it's different. If we can make a lot of very specific categories it would help tremendously. I am open for any ideas.

Thanks,
Vlad
Go to Top of Page

Bill Parkinson
nightphoto
USA
1027 Posts
My Collection

Posted - Jan 29 2008 :  4:05:09 PM  Show Profile  Visit nightphoto's Homepage  Reply with Quote

Vlad,

The History, Documents & Ephemera category could have separate sections for:

"Camera Manuals & Schematics"
and
"Lens manuals & Schematics"

and then they could be put in order just by making sure that the entries were properly named, ie:

all jupiter lens entries begin with "Jupiter-12 Schematic" instead of for example, "Schematic for Jupiter-12". Then they should line up correctly.

Otherwise everything looks good to me.

Regards, Bill

Go to Top of Page

Vladislav Kern
Vlad
USA
4247 Posts
My Collection

Posted - Jan 29 2008 :  4:09:10 PM  Show Profile  Visit Vlad's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thanks Bill, what about actually separating Manuals and Schematics? And also by language like:

Camera Manuals (Russian)
Camera Manuals (English)
Lens Manuals (English)
Lens Manuals (Russian)
Camera Technical Schematics
Lens Technical Schematics

Go to Top of Page

Bill Parkinson
nightphoto
USA
1027 Posts
My Collection

Posted - Jan 29 2008 :  6:08:23 PM  Show Profile  Visit nightphoto's Homepage  Reply with Quote
"Очень круто ;-)

Regards, Bill

Go to Top of Page

Vladislav Kern
Vlad
USA
4247 Posts
My Collection

Posted - Jan 29 2008 :  6:26:58 PM  Show Profile  Visit Vlad's Homepage  Reply with Quote
LOL! I shall make it so then!
Go to Top of Page

Vladislav Kern
Vlad
USA
4247 Posts
My Collection

Posted - Jan 29 2008 :  10:19:56 PM  Show Profile  Visit Vlad's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I need suggestions from everyone else though, maybe there will be good ideas too before I make any changes. I'll wait couple of days.

Vlad
Go to Top of Page
Luiz Paracampo
Luiz Paracampo
Brazil
1981 Posts
My Collection

Posted - Jan 30 2008 :  6:23:59 PM  Show Profile  Visit Luiz Paracampo's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Vlad

Luiz gotta be the "sickest" person of us all who is sick with the Soviet camera disease. __________________________________________

Slightly out dated, accept my apologises, But many thanks for your kind words.
Regards
LP
Go to Top of Page
Jacques M.
France
2584 Posts
Posted - Feb 01 2008 :  3:43:16 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Vlad,
Really congratulations you for your job..
All that is much more logical and easy to read.
If I could propose to share the Fed chapter in three or four parts?
For example:
-Fed 1 (1a to g),
-Fed 2 and 3 (they are relatives),including Zarias,
-other Fed cameras,
-Fed accessories and extra lenses. I could open lists about 4,5/28, 3,5/50 macro and 6,3/100 lenses. And some accessories too.

But it's only a suggestion...

Amitiés. Jacques.
Go to Top of Page

Vladislav Kern
Vlad
USA
4247 Posts
My Collection

Posted - Feb 01 2008 :  4:22:02 PM  Show Profile  Visit Vlad's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hi Jacques,

Thank you for your congratulations

Honestly I will go as everyone says, but my personal opinion that maybe FED section is not so big as to break it up... but let's see what others say, the majority rules, it's your site guys, I will do as you wish, since you are collectors with much more experience, if you think we need to separate FED further I will make the change...

Regarding lenses, you are right, we do need a section for FED in Lenses and Optics... I will create that..

Thanks for great suggestions Jacques!

Vlad.

P.S. By the way I reorganized the Documents section if anyone noticed
Go to Top of Page
Luiz Paracampo
Luiz Paracampo
Brazil
1981 Posts
My Collection

Posted - Feb 01 2008 :  6:23:27 PM  Show Profile  Visit Luiz Paracampo's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I am seeing the development of our ideas and agree with them.
Now I suggest the creation of an index in the same molds of Abramov's site. I believe it will be good.
Go to Top of Page

Vladislav Kern
Vlad
USA
4247 Posts
My Collection

Posted - Feb 01 2008 :  8:17:21 PM  Show Profile  Visit Vlad's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Luiz, Index is already created... go to the catalog and click on the link right below the search box. What do you think of this splitting the FED idea?
Go to Top of Page

Bill Parkinson
nightphoto
USA
1027 Posts
My Collection

Posted - Feb 01 2008 :  10:44:40 PM  Show Profile  Visit nightphoto's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Vlad,
I think Luiz is suggesting a different type of index than the one you made. What he is suggesting, and I have also suggested is a page that is different from the others. It would be something like "site map" that would take up a full page, possibly in two or three columns and where you could see everything all at once, with hot links to the individual articles or categories.
Abramov's site has a good example of this type of index or site map. You can put it up on your screen and then sort of look it over until you see something you want to look at.
It would be a "clean" simple page with no logos, ads, or images.

Regards, Bill

Go to Top of Page

Vladislav Kern
Vlad
USA
4247 Posts
My Collection

Posted - Feb 01 2008 :  10:57:17 PM  Show Profile  Visit Vlad's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Yea... Abramov got it easy, his site is static so he can do this fancy site maps... the content here changes so much and expands including categories themselves that it'll be quite an feat.... thus the index page that I've created since there are no multiple columns, just a big list... I'll have to think on how to accomplish all that in dynamic context... food for thought (hopefully with a shot of vodka)

I can probably do the categories on the existing index page clickable so those take you to categories themselves, would that make a difference?

Thanks,
Vlad
Go to Top of Page
Jacques M.
France
2584 Posts
Posted - Feb 02 2008 :  04:04:21 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

OK, Vlad. Anyway, you do for the best...
If you think it's not useful to break up the Fed chapter, I believe it would be good to reorganize it by using the chronological order inside that chapter.

I will open other lists of Fed lenses in some days.

Amitiés. Jacques.
Go to Top of Page
Luiz Paracampo
Luiz Paracampo
Brazil
1981 Posts
My Collection

Posted - Feb 02 2008 :  9:30:26 PM  Show Profile  Visit Luiz Paracampo's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Vlad
I stress Bill's words i suggest a site map. You can not say Abramov's site is a static one He now reached this stage due observations in his forum's comments.
I believe we now have a consistent body (data amount) to work with.
------------------------------------------------------------------
About FED lenses I believe they must go to "lenses" the same way as Kiev lenses (still yet no 6x6 lenses) Zorki lenses Zenit lenses Aero photo lenses etc.
Go to Top of Page

Vladislav Kern
Vlad
USA
4247 Posts
My Collection

Posted - Feb 03 2008 :  01:46:55 AM  Show Profile  Visit Vlad's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Ok Luiz, I will try to create some kind of self-updating site map soon then... and I thought about what Jacques said and looked at the variations of FED, I think he's right, maybe splitting FEDs makes sense... every other factory is split up so why not FEDs ..

And I will create the new lenses categories, so please post here what you would like to see there.. so far I have:

FED
Aaerial camera lenses
Zorki
Movie camera lenses
Zenitar (should this be a category?)

What else am I missing?

Vlad.
Go to Top of Page

Bill Parkinson
nightphoto
USA
1027 Posts
My Collection

Posted - Feb 04 2008 :  11:05:42 AM  Show Profile  Visit nightphoto's Homepage  Reply with Quote

Could we have GOI Lenses?

Regards, Bill

Go to Top of Page
James McGee
James McGee
Azerbaijan
192 Posts
Posted - Feb 04 2008 :  9:05:20 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Vlad,
I have a couple of items that I think may be useful for the Wiki catalogue, but I'm not sure how to add them, or even if they should be added.
The first is a TSVVS that I was offered several years ago, I didn't buy the camera because it was too expensive, but I took some photo's

The next is an FM-1 from 1950, unfortunately the lens is missing there is a similar camera shown in Princelle

This is a Zenith MF-1 from 1995, so after Soviet times.

http://www.ussrphoto.com/UserContent/Zenith MF-1.jpg

I am still in Azerbaijan at the moment, but found these photo's on my computer. If useful I can send more in about three weeks time when I will be back in the UK,

Regards,

Jim.
Go to Top of Page

Vladislav Kern
Vlad
USA
4247 Posts
My Collection

Posted - Feb 04 2008 :  9:24:58 PM  Show Profile  Visit Vlad's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thanks Jim, it's really easy to add these into catalog, I'm not going to do it because I want you to use these to try yourself. Just go into category in the catalog where you want to put then and click on "Add New Entry" on the top right above the list of cameras. Then upload the images one by one for this MF-1 on the left side, and write a description on the right. Then hit submit. Very easy. We already have TSVVS in the catalog, although you can edit the entry and add the serial # from it if it's not already there.

Let me know if you run into problems!

Thanks,
Vlad.
Go to Top of Page

Vladislav Kern
Vlad
USA
4247 Posts
My Collection

Posted - Feb 04 2008 :  9:28:36 PM  Show Profile  Visit Vlad's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Wait Jim.. isn't this an original Ayaks?? The MF-1 is the F-21 Ayaks, a camera that came 3 generations later...

Go to Top of Page
James McGee
James McGee
Azerbaijan
192 Posts
Posted - Feb 04 2008 :  9:57:10 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Vlad,

It seems I did something wrong when uploading the image for the FM-1, and so I am doing it again.
You are right this is the same as the F-21, but much later. This camera was manufactured in 1995, so a long time after the classic spy era. I can send better photo's and the serial number when I return to the UK.
I don't know what "Ayaks" is and I don't have my Princelle with me at the moment.

Regards,
Jim

Go to Top of Page

Vladislav Kern
Vlad
USA
4247 Posts
My Collection

Posted - Feb 04 2008 :  10:28:58 PM  Show Profile  Visit Vlad's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Jim,

for the forum you gotta put the "img" in square brackets in front of the image URL... I corrected it for you..

Yes, you're right, this is the latest one, I thought you are talking about the old one you posted before.. I think what you posted before is an Ayaks-9 camera. See here

http://www.photohistory.ru/Ajax-series.html

Vlad.
Go to Top of Page

Vladislav Kern
Vlad
USA
4247 Posts
My Collection

Posted - Feb 04 2008 :  10:36:39 PM  Show Profile  Visit Vlad's Homepage  Reply with Quote
All right, gentlemen, the lens section is now split I and I moved what I could... if you notice anything out of place please use the "Request Category Change" feature.

Thanks,
Vlad.
Go to Top of Page

Vladislav Kern
Vlad
USA
4247 Posts
My Collection

Posted - Feb 13 2008 :  9:31:05 PM  Show Profile  Visit Vlad's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Jacques, I will try to split the FED section this week... so what did we settle on?

FED 1
FED 2
FED - Other

??

Vlad
Go to Top of Page
Jacques M.
France
2584 Posts
Posted - Feb 14 2008 :  03:02:53 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Vlad,

Perhaps you could add Fed accessories, unless you put them with Fed lenses?
About Fed lenses, maybe you could add the Industar which were made for (and perhaps by?)Fed: I think of course of the 61 series.
But it's a general question which can be put too for Jupiter, for example..

So, do your best, as usual!
Jacques.

Go to Top of Page

Bill Parkinson
nightphoto
USA
1027 Posts
My Collection

Posted - Feb 14 2008 :  10:32:44 AM  Show Profile  Visit nightphoto's Homepage  Reply with Quote

I would like to see the categories to be:

FED 1
FED 2
FED 3
FED 4
FED 5
FED Other
FED Accessories
FED Lenses

There are many variations of the models FED 1,2,3,4,5 and many FED accessories.

Regards, Bill

Go to Top of Page
Jacques M.
France
2584 Posts
Posted - Feb 14 2008 :  11:00:43 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

You are right, Bill, particularly if we count the different colours and engravings...
As for the 1b only, I feel we will have to rewrite the Princelle! Certainly it would be easier to use Pegorari's classification for the 1, even if it's not complete.

Amitiés. Jacques.
Go to Top of Page

Vladislav Kern
Vlad
USA
4247 Posts
My Collection

Posted - Feb 14 2008 :  11:21:52 AM  Show Profile  Visit Vlad's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Ok, I think that may work for cameras. Although a few things about the last 2 categories:

FED Lenses already exist in the Lenses section so that does not need to be added..

Now the accessories.. we have the accessories section and it's broken up by type of accessories and not factories... I am not sure how we can fit in "FED Accessories" in there. Those definitely can't go into Still Cameras section since that is just for cameras. Should we start breaking down accessories by Factories now?? That'll be a huge list of all variation.. Or you can just add FED accessories into its appropriate categories in the Photo Equipment & Accessories section...
Your thoughts?
Go to Top of Page
Jacques M.
France
2584 Posts
Posted - Feb 14 2008 :  12:10:45 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

Vlad,

I propose we put the 61 series in "Fed lenses". These lenses were specially made for Fed 2 to Fed 5 series.
About the accessories, my idea would be to break this chapter at least for two factories. It wouldn't be such a problem if we only count Fed written accessories. Idem for KMZ... For the other accessories, we could keep a thematic classification.
It's my opinion, but I'm far from knowing all!

Amitiés. Jacques.
Go to Top of Page
Jacques M.
France
2584 Posts
Posted - Feb 14 2008 :  2:13:22 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

Not sure about a KMZ section for accessories. In fact, I thought of KMZ lenses too... Sorry.

Amitiés. Jacques.
Go to Top of Page

Vladislav Kern
Vlad
USA
4247 Posts
My Collection

Posted - Feb 14 2008 :  4:37:44 PM  Show Profile  Visit Vlad's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Jacques,

I would respectfully disagree on the I-61 lens.. there is a special section for Industar lenses, even though they may be made just for FED I would still put them into Industar section since that's what they are, I don't want to be inconsistent. if someone is looking for I-61L/D, they would go into Industar section under Lenses and not FED....

So every accessory section would be repeated like:
Finders - FED
Finders - KMZ
Finders - Other
Stereo Attachments - FED
Stereo Attachments - KMZ
Stereo Attachments - Other

Like that? There are also a few categories there that don't quite fit the factory bill since a lot of those were made by Arsenal and KMZ for example... can we come up with an exact structure for that whole section you think? I will try to make one when I have a few minutes, but not right now..

Also Jacques, are you planning to post images for the 2 entries you've created for FED accessories.. I just think that images should be required when a new entry is created, otherwise it's just a word description and it's not too helpful...

Thanks,

Vlad.
Go to Top of Page
Jacques M.
France
2584 Posts
Posted - Feb 15 2008 :  06:43:03 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

Hi Vlad!

Thanks for your respects, certainly due to my age!

I understand what you want: to be as consistent and logic as possible. But what is exactly "Industar"? A complex working for military and industrial purposes? A simple factory producing lenses? A bureau studying optics for camera factories? The classification depends partly on the answers which I don't know (A new topic, perhaps?).

I think that the Wiki must be as useful and easy to use as possible. If now I try to know which original lens goes to which Fed body, I must have to know first the answer before looking for: Fed or Industar?
If we are strictly logical, we will have to put the 3,5/50 into the Industar list as it is named "Industar 10" even it is only written Fed. As for the 28mm, 2/50 and 100 mm, they could be the last Fed lenses. But who knows exactly where and by whom they were made? Really by Fed? Not sure...

It's why I prefer a classification which lies upon what is written on the lens. It's easier to use. But someone needs to decide and you are the Boss! My seat is much more comfortable!

As for the two entries, I thought that the principle of Wiki was to complete each other including for pictures. I don't have any numerics, so if there is a problem, don't hesitate to remove.

Amicalement. Jacques.

Go to Top of Page

Bill Parkinson
nightphoto
USA
1027 Posts
My Collection

Posted - Feb 15 2008 :  10:51:28 AM  Show Profile  Visit nightphoto's Homepage  Reply with Quote

Hi Vlad,
I will have to agree with Jacques on several points.

Industar is the name of a lens design that was produced and made by various factories for various cameras. I think many who use the WIKI will want to find which lenses they can use on a specific camera and so, in many ways there are good reasons to have "FED Lenses" as a sub category of "FED" under "still cameras". This may be the same with other cameras or factories, in the future. It is the same with camera specific accessories, in some cases.

Probably the way to deal with this very problematic type of organization which is not wxactly linear, is to have some feature where, either by request or by the user, it is possible to duplicate an entry that is already in one category, into another.

Also, my opinion woould be that it is better to have the information in an entry, with no photo, than no entry at all for an item. As Jacques says, that is the way of the WIKI. There are already a number of items that have a photo and no info. In any case, I have a FED Self Timer and will add photos to that entry today. Maybe someone else can add the 100mm FED Finder photo, or it can wait until I find one, which I am looking for.

Regards, Bill

Go to Top of Page

Aidas Pikiotas
AidasCams
Lithuania
973 Posts
My Collection

Posted - Feb 15 2008 :  11:42:25 AM  Show Profile  Visit AidasCams's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hi Bill,

I have recently added a picture of Fed 100mm viewfinder. My photo is not the best quality, but it's better to have at least this one ... Anyway I can take the better picture and replace it soon.

Regards,
Aidas
Go to Top of Page

Bill Parkinson
nightphoto
USA
1027 Posts
My Collection

Posted - Feb 15 2008 :  4:02:04 PM  Show Profile  Visit nightphoto's Homepage  Reply with Quote

OK Aidas, and I added some of the self-timer that I just took (you can see me saying "hello" to you in the last photo!

Regards, Bill

Go to Top of Page

Vladislav Kern
Vlad
USA
4247 Posts
My Collection

Posted - Feb 15 2008 :  4:34:30 PM  Show Profile  Visit Vlad's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Bill, Jacques,

I guess you've convinced me about the wiki entries... I guess as long as pictures are added later it's ok... . Today's efforts convinced me of that... hehehe... thanks Aidas and Bill for adding those images!

Regarding the Wiki categories... Bill and I had a lengthy phone conversation about this and based what people were requesting here's what we've came up with:

2 things will be added to the site in the future (I hope near future, I got quite a full plate on developing a new module still that I was planning to launch a while back, but have not gotten around to it due to a lot of my "real" workload):

1. I will add a feature called "Linked Entries" with ability to copy entry. This will mean that you can copy an existing entry into another section of the catalog, so it will reside in two places, but any time you update it, it will be linked to an original one, so the update will affect all linked entries.

2. I will add a feature called "Related Entries". There you will be able to associate catalog entries with each other through the entire catalog. That means if you add FED-S, you can add a relationship to FED F2 lens entry in Lens section and a for example a special FED finder. The related entries will be listed and hotlinked below the entry when you view it, so you can easy jump from one entry to another. So if you're just looking for I-61 lens, and you go to FED 5, if linked properly you would be able to jump to an I-61 entry in Lenses section right from there....

How does that sound?

Vlad.
Go to Top of Page

Bill Parkinson
nightphoto
USA
1027 Posts
My Collection

Posted - Feb 15 2008 :  6:37:37 PM  Show Profile  Visit nightphoto's Homepage  Reply with Quote

Sounds great Vlad! Thanks for your deep thought and good solutions to the problem ;-)

Regards, Bill

Go to Top of Page
Yuri Boguslavsky
fedka
USA
240 Posts
My Collection

Posted - Feb 15 2008 :  9:38:30 PM  Show Profile  Visit fedka's Homepage  Reply with Quote
In case someone wants this image of the 100mm FED finder - it is available:

http://fedka.com/catalog/images/finder100a.jpg

I am not sure if one wiki entry can have more than one picture.
Go to Top of Page

Vladislav Kern
Vlad
USA
4247 Posts
My Collection

Posted - Feb 15 2008 :  9:59:54 PM  Show Profile  Visit Vlad's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thanks Yuri, you can upload as many images as you want into an entry.. there is no limit.

Vlad.
Go to Top of Page
Jacques M.
France
2584 Posts
Posted - Feb 16 2008 :  08:19:30 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

Thanks, Vlad!
If I understand well, you propose relations between entries when necessary: it's THE idea.
And thanks for the pictures...

Amitiés. Jacques.
Go to Top of Page

Vladislav Kern
Vlad
USA
4247 Posts
My Collection

Posted - Feb 16 2008 :  9:29:16 PM  Show Profile  Visit Vlad's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Yes, you understand well Jacques... I will do my best to do so within next few weeks... lots of programming...
Go to Top of Page

Vladislav Kern
Vlad
USA
4247 Posts
My Collection

Posted - Feb 18 2008 :  12:11:46 PM  Show Profile  Visit Vlad's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I've reorganized FED cameras, now they are split as we had decided...

And regarding Lenses now:
I know we've touched the subject before, but I need some help reorganizing Lenses if we're splitting by Factories. Now we have:

Aerial Camera Lenses (1)
FED (6)
GOI (0)
Helios (4)
Industar (22)
Jupiter (12)
MIR (0)
Movie Camera Lenses (0)
Non-Russian Communist Lenses (6)
Orion (4)
Other Lens (32)
Vega (4)
VOOMP (1)
Zenitar (0)
Zorki (0)

So.. we splitting Industar into
Arsenal - Industar
FED - Industar
KMZ - Industar

Jupiter into
Arsenal - Jupiter
KMZ - Jupiter

What else?? Please let me know.

Thanks,
Vlad.
Go to Top of Page

Vladislav Kern
Vlad
USA
4247 Posts
My Collection

Posted - Feb 18 2008 :  12:38:44 PM  Show Profile  Visit Vlad's Homepage  Reply with Quote
All right, fellow comrades in collecting, the requested site map has been programmed. You can access it via the old link inside the catalog right below search box, but here is direct link for your viewing pleasure:

http://www.ussrphoto.com/Wiki/site_map.asp

Note that everything is now click able and takes you to the right spots.. Your comments/criticism is welcome.

Thanks,
Vlad.
Go to Top of Page

Bill Parkinson
nightphoto
USA
1027 Posts
My Collection

Posted - Feb 18 2008 :  3:38:06 PM  Show Profile  Visit nightphoto's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the beautiful Wiki site map and for all your work to make it!

Regards, Bill

Go to Top of Page

Vladislav Kern
Vlad
USA
4247 Posts
My Collection

Posted - Feb 18 2008 :  3:47:57 PM  Show Profile  Visit Vlad's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Glad you guys like it
Go to Top of Page

Vladislav Kern
Vlad
USA
4247 Posts
My Collection

Posted - Feb 19 2008 :  2:59:32 PM  Show Profile  Visit Vlad's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hi All,

I've spent a whole day today programming this site, I've added the requested features:

- The ability to copy the entry to another category and have them linked.. if you edit it in one place, it will update all other copies automatically... the only issue is at this point I have not found a reliable way of removing images and files from the entry, so if you request removal at this time for any of the images on the entries that has a linked copy, you need to do that for each copy.. I will remedy the situation in the future but at least it's better than it was before.

- The ability to add related entries to an entry. So you can now tie the appropriate lenses and accessories to a camera or do so in any other combination... it is a one-way relationship, so if you relate an FED Lens to a FED camera, you will see the lens added to the camera, but not the camera added to the lens entry... I am still working on the way to request removal of the relationship, so for now email me if you make a mistake or make a separate thread where you put in requests to delete relationships.

Both these copies and relationships show up UNDER each entry if they exist and so are the links to add them... I've tested them as much as I could, if you encounter a problem please let me know right away.

Have fun!

Vlad
Go to Top of Page

Vladislav Kern
Vlad
USA
4247 Posts
My Collection

Posted - Feb 19 2008 :  3:27:02 PM  Show Profile  Visit Vlad's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I want to run something by you all.... for all the entries we have all different sizes of large images, and I am thinking to batch resize them all to 800pixels wide:

1. It'll make the site take up less space on the server
2. It will make large images load faster and eliminate scrolling

Any reason anyone can think of for keeping the VERY high res images? I think 800 pixels should be adequate for all images, don't you think?

Vlad
Go to Top of Page
zhang
Kievuser
310 Posts
Posted - Feb 20 2008 :  07:50:47 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Vlad,
I think 800 pixles are good enough for all images.
Go to Top of Page

Vladislav Kern
Vlad
USA
4247 Posts
My Collection

Posted - Feb 20 2008 :  12:49:55 PM  Show Profile  Visit Vlad's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Yea I think so too, I've resized whatever I could, but I backed up high res images to my home system just in case anyone needs any back... If you do let me know which entry/image.
Go to Top of Page
James McGee
James McGee
Azerbaijan
192 Posts
Posted - Feb 20 2008 :  8:21:31 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Vlad,
I think that 800 pixel wide images will be ideal. I intend to add some entries when I am back home in the UK next week, and I will be sure to resize my images to 800 pixels.
I'm sure I speak for everybody when I say that we appreciate all the effort that you are putting into reorganising the catalogue. It's a mammoth task and I know that I for one would not even know where to start.
As predicted by Luiz, I have noticed that the catalogue is fast becoming an invaluable reference and source for unique and previously unknown and unobtainable information.
Thanks are also due to Bill, Aidas, Luiz, Jacques, and others for their valuable contributions.
So thanks to all, your efforts are not passing by unnoticed, hopefully I can also make some small contribution when I go home next week.
Regards, Jim
Go to Top of Page

Vladislav Kern
Vlad
USA
4247 Posts
My Collection

Posted - Feb 20 2008 :  8:57:52 PM  Show Profile  Visit Vlad's Homepage  Reply with Quote
on behalf of everyone thank you Jim for your kind words, a lot of people put in a lot of time to make this site what it is and I can only accept a very small amount of credit for it...

Actually I've made it so you don't have to resize anymore, the site will do it for you.. it will resize all images bigger than 800 pixels wide to 800 when they are added to an entry...

I am eagerly awaiting the information avalanche one you are back in UK. ...

Best regards,
Vlad.
Go to Top of Page
James McGee
James McGee
Azerbaijan
192 Posts
Posted - Feb 20 2008 :  9:28:11 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You say the images will automatically resize!!! I'm not particularly computer literate, so for me this is mind boggling!!!
Don't hold your breath for a flood of new information when I return to the UK next week. I'm just an average collector, nevertheless I want to participate and to support everybody else by making some contribution of my own however small that may be.
In fact my main contributions will hopefully be to add to the already rich fund of "Fed-1" information and knowledge already established in the catalogue. I have some early Fed's to enter and some Fed lenses and accessories of which I can log the serial numbers.
My only "new" item will be a TSVVS universal viewfinder. This dffers from the standard viewfinder that we are all familiar with by having only three turrets instead of the usual five. I am hoping that one of our group has some knowledge or information about this item.
Regards, Jim
Go to Top of Page

Vladislav Kern
Vlad
USA
4247 Posts
My Collection

Posted - Feb 20 2008 :  10:55:46 PM  Show Profile  Visit Vlad's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Yes, I've made some changes to the code of the site a few days ago so it resizes it for you guys to 800, I thought it'd easier on everyone... ...

Jim, I was just kidding about the avalanche - any contributions to the catalog would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you!
Vlad
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
USSRPhoto.com Forums © USSRPhoto.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000
Google