Serial numbers for Leningrad in Wiki
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
okynek
759 Posts
Posted - Apr 03 2008 :  9:27:04 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
On this page:

http://www.ussrphoto.com/Wiki/default.asp?WikiCatID=12&ParentID=1&ContentID=75&Item=Leningrad

I wondering, when someone enter serial number like:
#001058 lens 1958 (SovietCams)
what "lens" is for? Are we collecting s/n for the lens? Or I'm missing something?

Aidas Pikiotas
AidasCams
Lithuania
973 Posts
My Collection

Posted - Apr 04 2008 :  01:33:38 AM  Show Profile  Visit AidasCams's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Okynek,

few weeks ago it was a Topic about Leningrad cameras and how theirs serials do match with lens serials indeed ... so the entry you quoted indicates the serial number of Leningrad camera with lens, been made in 1958.

I hope it's clear now?

Best Regards,
Aidas
Go to Top of Page
okynek
759 Posts
Posted - Apr 04 2008 :  07:41:13 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Aidas, are you mean that Leningrad's serial number has to be the same as s/n on the lens?
I did miss this topic. I'll try to find it. Sorry.
And thanks!
Go to Top of Page

Aidas Pikiotas
AidasCams
Lithuania
973 Posts
My Collection

Posted - Apr 04 2008 :  09:04:28 AM  Show Profile  Visit AidasCams's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Okynek,

below you will find link to Leningrad Topic we were discussing about:

http://www.ussrphoto.com/Forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=485

Regards,
Aidas
Go to Top of Page

Bill Parkinson
nightphoto
USA
1027 Posts
My Collection

Posted - Apr 04 2008 :  11:15:55 AM  Show Profile  Visit nightphoto's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Okynek,

Because the early production of Leningrad has serial numbers that begin with a "0" or several "0"s, it is not easy to tell when the camera is made, but by looking at the lens (assuming it is original to the camera) you can get an idea of the date because the lens serial number begins with the date (ie. 58xxxx).

So the reason the dates of the lenses are listed on the Leningrad page is to try to make some sense of the body serial numbers and to help date the bodies by the serial numbers on the body.

The problems are that: (1) maybe the lens has been changed over the years and is not the original lens. (2) Maybe the camera came with a lens that was already in stock at the factory, when it was added to the camera at the factory (ie. a 1958 lens was put on a 1959 camera at the factory). So, the lens date, in my opinion, will just serve as a general indication, but still is helpful in trying to date the bodies if enough examples are added to the list.

Regards, Bill

Go to Top of Page
okynek
759 Posts
Posted - Apr 04 2008 :  6:40:55 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you Bill! Thank you Aidas! Now I know what bizz about
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
USSRPhoto.com Forums © USSRPhoto.com Go To Top Of Page