Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Discussion
 Collectors and Users Open Forum
 Interesting Online Auction...Got The Bucks ??
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Steve
Bull Halsey

USA
229 Posts
Posted - Sep 05 2008 :  5:52:17 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Take a look at eBay #200252271216.
A TSVVS.

What do you all think ?

Steve

Vladislav Kern
Vlad
USA
4247 Posts
My Collection

Posted - Sep 05 2008 :  9:20:11 PM  Show Profile  Visit Vlad's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Isn't it the same TSVVS that was posted here about 3 weeks ago?
Go to Top of Page
Steve
Bull Halsey
USA
229 Posts
Posted - Sep 06 2008 :  02:10:35 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sorry, I don't recall, however at the price being asked I'm not surprised to see the Seller giving it another try.

That price is way out of line.

Steve
Go to Top of Page
Jacques M.
France
2587 Posts
Posted - Sep 06 2008 :  09:06:54 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

It's the first time I see a leather case for TSVVS.
The special lens cover is not common either (what an evidence!): it's often a Zeiss one.

Amitiés. Jacques.
Go to Top of Page
Yuri Boguslavsky
fedka
USA
240 Posts
My Collection

Posted - Sep 09 2008 :  10:31:09 PM  Show Profile  Visit fedka's Homepage  Reply with Quote
The case looks like a modified Leica case. I have never seen a Soviet case made like this.

Also, the flash synch - is this an add-on or they made it this way at the factory?
Go to Top of Page

Bill Parkinson
nightphoto
USA
1027 Posts
My Collection

Posted - Sep 09 2008 :  11:21:15 PM  Show Profile  Visit nightphoto's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hi all,

The case shown in the auction of the TSVVS is the same as one of my TSVVS cameras came in and is authentic. I have seen at least four or five others in the same case.

However, Yuri is right, in my opinion, that the case is not like other Russian cases. Also the TSVVS itself is unlike any other Russian cameras. Many times I have thought that it is more like a German camera. Maybe it was made in Russian occupied Germany, for the Soviet Military. Nothing about the camera really seems Soviet, except the Cyrillic engraving and it's meaning. Even the technique of the engraving does not look so Russian. And, there is always a stamped number on the bottom of the shutter cage, and the bottom itself ... just the exact same way ast the Contax has!
So, maybe TSVVS was made by a German factory, under Soviet control, in Germany. The years 1949 and 1950 would be correct for this and during this period post-war Soviet camera factories were just becoming functional again ... so I could see that the Military might have a camera made that is of a higher quality in Germany, especially for high ranking officers. An interesting theory and I know others have thought this, or something like it, too ... maybe Stephan from Belgium was saying that TSVVS might even be designed during the war (in Germany).

Regards, Bill

Go to Top of Page

Juhani Halmeenmaki
cedricfan
Finland
1014 Posts
My Collection

Posted - Sep 09 2008 :  11:26:39 PM  Show Profile  Visit cedricfan's Homepage  Reply with Quote
And I also noticed that the case is not as it should be for a camera this age, eg the stitching inside & around lens "nose" looks too fresh.
Not a well done forgery, and what else is fake then?

Smena rules
Go to Top of Page

Bill Parkinson
nightphoto
USA
1027 Posts
My Collection

Posted - Sep 09 2008 :  11:36:23 PM  Show Profile  Visit nightphoto's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hi Juhani,

There is no doubt in my mind that both the camera and the case are authentic. All of the details are correct for both. Only three problems with the camera ... the little screw is missing that covers the rangefinder adjustment hole (near the viewfinder window) ... the strobe synch socket is a later addition ... and, of course the price is a bit steep!

Regards, Bill

Go to Top of Page
Steve
Bull Halsey
USA
229 Posts
Posted - Sep 10 2008 :  10:45:04 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Bill,

Yeah, quite a bit.

Given the synch adulteration and the other flaws, I'd place this camera in a $2000-$2500
range at best.

What do you think?

Steve
Go to Top of Page

Juhani Halmeenmaki
cedricfan
Finland
1014 Posts
My Collection

Posted - Sep 10 2008 :  1:14:38 PM  Show Profile  Visit cedricfan's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Bill: I did study the case pictures once more after your confirmation. It is possible that the case is so well preserved, but a wonder. The marks on nose outside must have come from storage more than use, as use would have left marks on the stiches as well. It certainly looks a lot like the Lieca-cases which have been done from many cases and/or some new parts.

PS: And I still regret not buying one when the prices were much more less, although high for a USSR-camera even then...

Edited by - cedricfan on Sep 10 2008 1:15:44 PM
Go to Top of Page
Steve
Bull Halsey
USA
229 Posts
Posted - Sep 12 2008 :  3:31:04 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
No one purchased the camera.
Let's see if the Seller relists at a lower price.

Steve
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
USSRPhoto.com Forums © USSRPhoto.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000
Google