Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Luiz Paracampo
Luiz Paracampo

Brazil
1981 Posts
My Collection

Posted - Oct 28 2008 :  08:04:40 AM  Show Profile  Visit Luiz Paracampo's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Extraordinary photographs of Sergei Mikhailovich Prokudin-Gorskii (1863-1944) --the Russian Empire on the eve of World War I and the coming revolution.
http://www.loc.gov/exhibits/empire/gorskii.html
Valuable for knowing!
regards LP

Vladislav Kern
Vlad
USA
4247 Posts
My Collection

Posted - Oct 28 2008 :  08:57:37 AM  Show Profile  Visit Vlad's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Absolutely incredible! I could not believe I was staring at a picture of 1912 Russia in full blown color!! Thank you Luiz! Made me say "wow" this morning .

Vlad.
Go to Top of Page

Bill Parkinson
nightphoto
USA
1027 Posts
My Collection

Posted - Oct 28 2008 :  11:29:45 AM  Show Profile  Visit nightphoto's Homepage  Reply with Quote

Thanks Luiz,

I have seen the book of the exhibition of these photographs. You can buy the book for between $10 - $20. and you can find it on alibris.com if you put a search in for the title: "Photographer to the Tsar".

Regards, Bill

Go to Top of Page
Don Gillette
dgillette4
USA
202 Posts
Posted - Oct 29 2008 :  6:21:08 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
What a beautiful insightful album. Sergei had a labourious job to shoot those. I haven't heard if the U.S.A even used color then, Kodak had the dye transfer process and there were autochromes but I don't believe that was until later on. Princells' book has a camera process of shooting through three filters onto three pieces of film. I have seen the dye transfer process and it is fantastic in quality and archival value. And as pointed out the registration of negs is very critical. The dye transfer process printed three different negs on matrix film that had registration holes for alignment. Again Bravo for this addition..Don

ZORKIE'S Survive
Go to Top of Page
Luiz Paracampo
Luiz Paracampo
Brazil
1981 Posts
My Collection

Posted - Oct 30 2008 :  05:01:15 AM  Show Profile  Visit Luiz Paracampo's Homepage  Reply with Quote
In America a similar technique was used on movies the "Technicolor" All with the best colour quality.
LP
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
USSRPhoto.com Forums © USSRPhoto.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000
Google