Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Discussion
 Collectors and Users Open Forum
 Kontroversial Re-invented ex-USSR cameras ?
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
dee * [ adopted ] dowling
dee

United Kingdom
114 Posts
Posted - Nov 25 2008 :  6:21:15 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi

I know that Leica copies from Zorki / Fed cameras are , to say the least , controversial but
I love the various imaginative re-inventions of poor inocent Zorkis and Feds , it means that I can enjoy many variants on the Leica II shape which is known / safe to my Autistic Glitch .

[ not Leica IIIc - this is seen as '' not right '' Leica II OOPS ! ]

Some from moscow photo - Mika - [ my Mika muse cameras ? ] are refinished in immaculate new matt chrome , thick black top plates with exquiste if over imaginative , fuax wartime engraving . It seems impossible to find such craftsmanship in any other field ,
I have triples* of Zorki 1 and Zorki S , and the are smooth and quiet and lovely to use -purely as an escape from the '' noise '' of my Asdee - anyway , they were simply recycled from sales of previous toys.
* it seems that it's easier to '' see / resolve '' several same items that just one .
I tend to surround - and somehow ground myself with either my '' Leica-likes '' or Kontaxes .This is common with ASD , as little is ''in focus '' feels real .

I have twin Fed 1g in Black Leica guise , and I have '' nickelised '' the controls with metallic paint to complement my twin 1st and second batch Leica IIs .

I have now started to modify a late Kiev 4 from Oleg , which works beautifully , with silver paint and tan leather , currently wearing Contax label .

I am looking at various new coverings from asahi for several Kievs .

I guess these inexpensive Classic Contax / profile cameras offer the opportunity of a kind of cosmetic interaction .

I have made the '' labels '' in 1947 script , Contax , and KNeB , in black on silver paper , just to add a little difference to my Kiev 4's and 4a's.

Temporary , I hasten to add - they just peel of !

Naturally , early Kievs , like my Kievs 2 1952 / 1955 and Kiev 3 1954 / 1955 are safe from interference , though a rough Kiev 2 1956 will be restored in nickel plating .

I know that this goes a lot further than most , I guess collecting all the variants is more normal , I would prefer to have many Kiev 4 which I can finish differently , whilst respecting the style and heritage of these classic cameras .
My Kiev 4m for example looks stylish in dark blue leather with a Helios with the crude white engraving filled in black .

... and that Helios is stunning !

dee

Vladislav Kern
Vlad
USA
4247 Posts
My Collection

Posted - Nov 25 2008 :  8:59:13 PM  Show Profile  Visit Vlad's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Dee, please post pictures, we are all dying to see them!!

Yes some of the Feicas are absolutely stunning and are works of art.. I loved my gold Zorki-C with real wooden paneling covering, which I gave as a present to my dear friend - the camera was made in 1958 and my friend turned 50, and he loves photography, so seemed like a very appropriate present, he had loved it!

Vlad
Go to Top of Page
Steve
Bull Halsey
USA
229 Posts
Posted - Nov 26 2008 :  02:09:31 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello Dee and welcome to the group.

I too am a fan of Russian "Leica Copies". Please do share some of yours with us. I also agree there is a lot of work that goes into these cameras and the results are quite interesting and entertaining.

Regards,
Steve
Go to Top of Page
BERRY alain
mermoz37
France
814 Posts
Posted - Nov 26 2008 :  04:49:16 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Dee,
first of all,welcome here ;-))

So , as Bill said, "feiZorkas" must be considered like cotemporary indication in FSU history and also as a very good craftsmen work for most of them.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
USSRPhoto.com Forums © USSRPhoto.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000
Google