Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ

All Forums
 General Discussion
 Collectors and Users Open Forum
 Hello, an introduction and a few questions!

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Antispam question: Please provide registration password:
Answer:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON

New! Upload Image

Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
franque Posted - Aug 26 2023 : 8:15:54 PM
Hi, my name is John Frank, I'm an American, and a mechanic and father of two living in Guinea, West Africa.

Due to a surplus of boredom and listening to some photography podcasts (that's where I first heard about Vlad, through the Classic Lens Podcast), I decided to make the jump and get into film, though I've been shooting digitally since the pandemic. While I don't mind shooting digital, I discovered that I really like a more manual, involved process.

My wife, an ethnomusicologist, took a film photography class when in school which she really enjoyed, and we decided that we would get a film camera for an upcoming trip to France later this year. It will also likely be used to document a cultural festival for a local people group who are renowned throughout West Africa for their artistic abilites.

I showed my wife a picture of a Zorki 1 and a Kiev 4a, and I asked her which camera we should get, as either one would offer a more immersive experience and a more affordable entry to a rangefinder with interesting lenses - Leicas are too pretentious and expensive for me.

She settled on a Kiev, and so I started looking on Le Bon Coin, a sort of French craigslist, but is actually still used by people, unlike craigslist. I managed to find an untested Kiev 4a, KMZ turret viewfinder, and Jupiters 8, 9, 11, and 12 for €150 that I immediately bought. I'm hoping to learn camera repair, and I thought that for the price I'm taking a relatively small risk.

I also found a Contax III on Kamerastore for €80 that I bought and sent to OKcamera to have it refurbished, so that at least I would have one camera that would definitely work for our trip back to France.

I also found an Orion 15 in Contax-Kiev for $140 that I also jumped on, and will be delivered to me in Guinea in a couple of weeks.

After the long essay/intro, I arrive at my questions:

I was wondering, does anyone have an idea of how many (or the ratio of) Orion 15s were made in Kiev mount vs LTM? Mine came from GOMZ in 1964, as I understand it the first year of export production, s/n 643385, and I was wondering if anyone knows if there was a separate numbering system for LTM vs C-K, or even relative production numbers for Orion 15s in general? Were serial numbers limited to each lens design, or was it entire production of a factory for a given year, for example, would it be possible for the next lens produced by GOMZ, say 643386, to be a Jupiter 12 instead, and the next Orion 15 maybe getting a number like 6436XX, for example?

http://www.ussrphoto.com/UserContent2/2682023_image_123927839~2.JPG

Also, more of a general thing, my wife and I are looking to immigrate to France, and I'm potentially looking to try to apprentice as a camera repairman, with the hopes of getting a job working in a small atélier that might get us a visa to stay. If anyone knows someone who is looking for an apprentice, I thought I might put that out there. I speak French fluently, as well, not like a typical American who has "studied" French.

If you have any questions, I'm a relatively open book.

Since what is available in Guinea is relatively limited, I'll probably also be learning film development here; I'm looking forward to the process of everything!

P.S. Since Guinea has a long history of cooperation with China and the Soviet Union, I'm hoping to see what I can find in terms of vintage photography equipment, so to speak. I'll be going to a camera store next week potentially, and if I see anything interesting, I'll be happy to share photos. If anyone sees anything they like, I would be happy to buy it and send the things from France when I arrive in the end of October, as the postal service isn't really extant here.
3   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
seany65 Posted - Sep 08 2023 : 8:40:49 PM
Hello and welcome to the forum, John. You'll find a lot of info here, though occasionally it can be rather quiet.
xya Posted - Aug 27 2023 : 2:50:19 PM
Welcome to the forum. There are a few French members around here, but the forum is not too active these days.

In any case I wish you good luck for your trip to France and more luck for your future plans...

www.a7camera.com www.120folder.com www.instantphoto.eu www.135compact.com www.oddcameras.com
www.subcompactcam.com
xalmaz Posted - Aug 27 2023 : 03:02:14 AM
Suppose, ZOMZ.

http://xalmaz.narod.ru

USSRPhoto.com Forums © USSRPhoto.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000
Google