Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Discussion
 Collectors and Users Open Forum
 Hello, an introduction and a few questions!
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
John Frank
franque

Guinea
1 Posts
Posted - Aug 26 2023 :  8:15:54 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi, my name is John Frank, I'm an American, and a mechanic and father of two living in Guinea, West Africa.

Due to a surplus of boredom and listening to some photography podcasts (that's where I first heard about Vlad, through the Classic Lens Podcast), I decided to make the jump and get into film, though I've been shooting digitally since the pandemic. While I don't mind shooting digital, I discovered that I really like a more manual, involved process.

My wife, an ethnomusicologist, took a film photography class when in school which she really enjoyed, and we decided that we would get a film camera for an upcoming trip to France later this year. It will also likely be used to document a cultural festival for a local people group who are renowned throughout West Africa for their artistic abilites.

I showed my wife a picture of a Zorki 1 and a Kiev 4a, and I asked her which camera we should get, as either one would offer a more immersive experience and a more affordable entry to a rangefinder with interesting lenses - Leicas are too pretentious and expensive for me.

She settled on a Kiev, and so I started looking on Le Bon Coin, a sort of French craigslist, but is actually still used by people, unlike craigslist. I managed to find an untested Kiev 4a, KMZ turret viewfinder, and Jupiters 8, 9, 11, and 12 for €150 that I immediately bought. I'm hoping to learn camera repair, and I thought that for the price I'm taking a relatively small risk.

I also found a Contax III on Kamerastore for €80 that I bought and sent to OKcamera to have it refurbished, so that at least I would have one camera that would definitely work for our trip back to France.

I also found an Orion 15 in Contax-Kiev for $140 that I also jumped on, and will be delivered to me in Guinea in a couple of weeks.

After the long essay/intro, I arrive at my questions:

I was wondering, does anyone have an idea of how many (or the ratio of) Orion 15s were made in Kiev mount vs LTM? Mine came from GOMZ in 1964, as I understand it the first year of export production, s/n 643385, and I was wondering if anyone knows if there was a separate numbering system for LTM vs C-K, or even relative production numbers for Orion 15s in general? Were serial numbers limited to each lens design, or was it entire production of a factory for a given year, for example, would it be possible for the next lens produced by GOMZ, say 643386, to be a Jupiter 12 instead, and the next Orion 15 maybe getting a number like 6436XX, for example?

http://www.ussrphoto.com/UserContent2/2682023_image_123927839~2.JPG

Also, more of a general thing, my wife and I are looking to immigrate to France, and I'm potentially looking to try to apprentice as a camera repairman, with the hopes of getting a job working in a small atélier that might get us a visa to stay. If anyone knows someone who is looking for an apprentice, I thought I might put that out there. I speak French fluently, as well, not like a typical American who has "studied" French.

If you have any questions, I'm a relatively open book.

Since what is available in Guinea is relatively limited, I'll probably also be learning film development here; I'm looking forward to the process of everything!

P.S. Since Guinea has a long history of cooperation with China and the Soviet Union, I'm hoping to see what I can find in terms of vintage photography equipment, so to speak. I'll be going to a camera store next week potentially, and if I see anything interesting, I'll be happy to share photos. If anyone sees anything they like, I would be happy to buy it and send the things from France when I arrive in the end of October, as the postal service isn't really extant here.

Edited by - franque on Aug 26 2023 8:19:43 PM
xalmaz
Russia
37 Posts
My Collection

Posted - Aug 27 2023 :  03:02:14 AM  Show Profile  Visit xalmaz's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Suppose, ZOMZ.

http://xalmaz.narod.ru
Go to Top of Page
xya
France
154 Posts
Posted - Aug 27 2023 :  2:50:19 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Welcome to the forum. There are a few French members around here, but the forum is not too active these days.

In any case I wish you good luck for your trip to France and more luck for your future plans...

www.a7camera.com www.120folder.com www.instantphoto.eu www.135compact.com www.oddcameras.com
www.subcompactcam.com
Go to Top of Page
sean perry
seany65
United Kingdom
313 Posts
Posted - Sep 08 2023 :  8:40:49 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello and welcome to the forum, John. You'll find a lot of info here, though occasionally it can be rather quiet.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
USSRPhoto.com Forums © USSRPhoto.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000
Google