Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ

All Forums
 General Discussion
 Collectors and Users Open Forum
 I need your advices and wisdom (kiev88)

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Antispam question: Please provide registration password:
Answer:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON

New! Upload Image

Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
stephanvdz Posted - Dec 31 2008 : 07:05:39 AM
My salyut C is going to arax for repairs and CLA, and I will ask Arax to a) repair the shutter (slow speed erratic) b) flock the interior c) change the mattglass... and probably to adapt a new tripod base so that the slow speed are protected... also have a new black leather covering for the whole kit (saliyut, wlf, 2 matching backs... all with same number 7403260) BUT should I change for cloth shutter ?

Besides I want to buy an new improved Kiev88 with MLU and cloth shutter and so on... with a P6 mount to use my sonnar 180/2,8 and other but also my other kiev lenses with an adapter...
The questions are :
1/ do the old kiev lenses with autodiaf... keep that features with the adapter ?
2/ Twist lock or Breech lock P6 mount ? what is the most useful and usable
3/ Hartblei or Arax... which is best finished ? since they are in the same price bracket...

Lot of questions... but I know you are wise... or you may seem so...

Stephan

Stephan
2   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
stephanvdz Posted - Jan 01 2009 : 12:12:09 PM
your wisdom meets my early thoughts... so I think I'll go for a new arax with p6 twist, cloth shutter and MLU... and ask to upgrade the salyiut within reason (no new mount, no cloth shutter...)

Stephan
nathandayton Posted - Dec 31 2008 : 6:32:04 PM
I have a Salyut C that I had converted to Pentacon six lens mount and rebuilt by Arax. I cannot say too much good about the quality. I chose the twist lock and like it better than my Pentacons and Kiev 6, 6s,and 60. Every lens that I have works flawlessly(and I have almost every Soviet and Zeiss lens), the auto lenses all work both Soviet and German. Personally I did not get mirror lock and do not miss it. I find that a good tripod is much more reliable in suppressing shake, I have a heavy wooden German one. I also had the backs rebuilt and they work flawlessly.

As an engineer I would recommend against changing the metal curtains to cloth. It was designed to have metal curtains and I would be concerned that the cloth curtains would introduce problems down the road.

I cannot talk to the quality of Hartblei because I have never seen on of their conversions but I would not hesitate to recommend Arax and go to them to have another done.

USSRPhoto.com Forums © USSRPhoto.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000
Google