Located in
Photo Equipment & Accessories > Exposure Meters

Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Luiz Paracampo
Luiz Paracampo

Brazil
1981 Posts
My Collection

Posted - Nov 13 2007 :  6:36:12 PM  Show Profile  Visit Luiz Paracampo's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Very good Bill!
This NKAP is extremely rare, not so for the original Tempiphot!
At http://www.photohistory.ru/Exposimeters.html there is also a discription of such meter. There is an explanation of use of such instrument that I found particularly confusing (besides being in Russian) so I prepared what I fell to be an easier way of description:
At the front left of the exposure meter, there is a manual pointer switch intended for operating the meter in high and low lights levels.
The circular scale ring in the internal of the exposure meter window has four scales : Two Movie scales. KD (Cyrillic) means “Kadrov” (frames per second) and there are marked 8 16 32 64 (red) and 8 16 32 64 (black), respectively to be used in High light levels (red) and Low light levels (black) - and two shutter speed scales.
The full fraction reading (black and red numbers) are used for High light levels and the fractions without the red numbers are used for Low light levels,
The exposure meter is calibrated in XND (Cyrillic) meaning H&D or Hurter and Driffield's numbers originally used in Russia before WWII. The largest triangle has the scale of film speeds.
The smallest triangle sets the sensitivity value with the filter factor compensator, directly to the desired diaphragm. These triangles are coupled to the internal ring of shutter speeds.
When directed to the subject to be photographed, the galvanometer pointer indicates the needed shutter speed needed for the chosen diaphragm.
We include a table of film speeds used in the meter with the corresponding present ISO equivalents:
It begins in 0,8 ASA and goes up to 6.4 ASA! These were the commom materials found in 30's years....

H&D ISO(ASA)
1 0.8
2;5 1.0
3 1.2
4 1.6
5 2
6,4 2.5
8 3.2
10 4
12,5 5
16 6.4

Bill Parkinson
nightphoto
USA
1027 Posts
My Collection

Posted - Nov 13 2007 :  9:50:52 PM  Show Profile  Visit nightphoto's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hi Luiz,
Thank you for pointing out the article about this meter on photohistory.ru. The photos of the meter on the site, except for the first one of the illustration from a book, are photos I made of my KNAP meter. I have given permission to the owner of that site to use photos from my own site, http://www.nightphoto.com, which shows a small part of my collection. Some of the other meters shown on the site (FED, MKIP, and some exposure books) are also from my site.

I do not know of anybody who has one of these NKAP meters besides myself, although probably some collectors do. Also, I did not know that the meter was made by GOI. This is great news for me, ... thanks for showing me! So, I will have to update the article on my own website to show that!

Your description of the operating features of this meter is very good and quite clear. I thought that this meter may have been made for use with movie cameras as well as still cameras, so thank you for confirming this! Good work Luiz and very helpful to those who like to know these things.

Luiz, have you seen other examples of this NKAP meter, and why do you think it is labeled NKAP (The People¹s Commissariat for the Aviation Industry (Narodniy Kommisariat Aviatsionoy Promishlinosti)? Was GOI also under NKAP in the same way that FED was during those yeras just at the end and after the WWII?

Regards, Bill

Go to Top of Page
Luiz Paracampo
Luiz Paracampo
Brazil
1981 Posts
My Collection

Posted - Nov 14 2007 :  05:53:15 AM  Show Profile  Visit Luiz Paracampo's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Bill
This model was unknown from me since you posted the first set of pictures. Abramov, I think, posted it slightly before.I did compare with the Tempiphot 300, and the "Eksponometr" is slightly simplified. No provision for booster and simplified upper triangle. What I found more interesting was the range of film speeds of the instrument. Taking pictures were difficult in these early days!
The most famous "unknown" Russian exposure meter that surfaced, probably is the "NKIP" used for movies and made by "Kino Institut" and first shown by Alexander Bronstein.
BUT IMPORTANT ! in the immediate prewar days FED produced the same known metallic case exposure meter with a black plastic case. This one was only shown at Princelle's book.
Another stange exposure meter is the "Zvizda" (Star) copy of British Weston Master II.
Go to Top of Page
Zoom
596 Posts
Posted - Nov 14 2007 :  05:58:27 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Luiz Paracampo

Bill
Another stange exposure meter is the "Zvizda" (Star)...

Zvezda, "e" not "i" ;)
Go to Top of Page

Bill Parkinson
nightphoto
USA
1027 Posts
My Collection

Posted - Nov 14 2007 :  1:28:31 PM  Show Profile  Visit nightphoto's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Luiz,

Do you mean the "MKIP EP-4" meter? which I have here on my site and in my collection:
http://www.nightphoto.com/epmeter.html

Regards, Bill

Go to Top of Page
Luiz Paracampo
Luiz Paracampo
Brazil
1981 Posts
My Collection

Posted - Nov 17 2007 :  08:11:06 AM  Show Profile  Visit Luiz Paracampo's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:1
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Originally posted by Zoom
Zvezda, "e" not "i" ;)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The same way Photosniper goes in Russian to "Fotosnaiper"

quote:2
Originally posted by nightphoto
Do you mean the "MKIP EP-4" meter?

Bill ! ! ! ! ! Gorgeous pictures of a fantastic new exposure meter ! ! ! !. Exactly this one. Note now the "GOST" speed calibration. This example dates from 1955.

----And about the FED exposure meter with plastic case?
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
USSRPhoto.com Forums © USSRPhoto.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000
Google