Kiev rangefinder serial number
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

jed
France
391 Posts
My Collection

Posted - Jan 13 2008 :  1:37:06 PM  Show Profile  Visit jed's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hello,

There's a serial number printed (or written) inside the Kiev camera near the shutter release latch. I've worked on 7 cameras and I have noticed no relation with the one printed on the top plate. See picture, the s/n is 10250 whereas we can read 518796 on the top plate.
Nethertheless, in some cases they match. There's some samples in DVDtechnik collection. Very weird.

Any comments ?

Best,
Jed

Vladislav Kern
Vlad
USA
4247 Posts
My Collection

Posted - Jan 13 2008 :  9:16:36 PM  Show Profile  Visit Vlad's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Shutter or shutter assembly serial # possibly? I know Moment shutters for example have their own serial #, I don't see why Kievs wouldn't.... just a guess...
Go to Top of Page

Bill Parkinson
nightphoto
USA
1027 Posts
My Collection

Posted - Jan 13 2008 :  10:07:17 PM  Show Profile  Visit nightphoto's Homepage  Reply with Quote

I have heard that the number inside is actually a date when that part was installed. So, Oct, 2, 1950. Probably the camera wasn't completed until early 1951, when it was given a serial number. However, that does not explain the cameras that have a matching inside number and serial number.

Regards, Bill

Go to Top of Page
zhang
Kievuser
310 Posts
Posted - Jan 14 2008 :  07:29:49 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My 1950 Zeiss parts Kiev II 500097 has a number 178 on the shutter frame. I have other two with 27199 and 947, but I forgot the camera model. They seem to be parts number.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
USSRPhoto.com Forums © USSRPhoto.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000
Google